Page 2 | Which sling or baby carrier would you recommend?

(94 Posts)
TinaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 26-Sep-18 14:42:02

We're making plans to test and review new slings and baby carriers and we'd love to know which ones you'd recommend.

Choosing the right sling or baby carrier is a very personal decision. Often the best way to decide is just to try out a few from another parent or a sling library. But there are so many options to choose from it can be hard to know which one might work for you.

If you've bought and loved a sling or baby carrier in the last two years, we want to hear about it! Tell us which one you loved and why you loved it. Your comments will help us to create a shortlist of carriers to test and recommend to new parents.

OP’s posts: |
randomsabreuse Tue 02-Oct-18 17:35:47

For a hiking carrier I really like the Deuter Kid comfort III. Enough space for stuff for a day out, effective containment for over tired grumpy toddler with less risk to my eyes and throat than a sling. DH used this and the Manduca as long as DD would tolerate not walking herself... I made it almost as long until I got pregnant with my 2nd.

Bromeliad Tue 02-Oct-18 17:38:02

Ergobaby 360 omni, I tried loads on at a sling library and the ergobaby was the best for my upper back issues. We rented an adapt which I loved but the 360 is outward facing too so will hopefully last longer!

Dazedandconfused1988 Tue 02-Oct-18 18:05:03

Ktan

Galvantula Tue 02-Oct-18 18:12:54

Stretchy wrap at first (used wovens as well for next baby)

Manduca also from about 6 months ish. great carrier, comfy for long trips and easy to use. It has an inbuilt newborn positioner, but i preferred the stretchy for wee ones.

I used a Tula Toddler for my biggest, it was great even up to age 4.

I love the flexibility of woven wraps, although they do need a bit more practise. smile

Thewindsofchange Tue 02-Oct-18 18:20:14

When ds was little we had an Nct close caboo. It was magic to get him to sleep.

When he was a bit older we got a Connecta. Also awesome. Had a Mai tai too which was more of a faff to do up as it tied rather than buckles but was comfier as could be adjusted easier.

Cyclingforcake Tue 02-Oct-18 18:26:11

Beco Gemini has been perfect this time. DD went into it at 2weeks and we both love it. I tried a close Caboo for DS and never got on with it. He always seemed to be fallling out of it. We’ve also loved our Osprey walking rucksack for proper walks. That worked well from 9 months until 3 years. Now DS wants to walk which is soooooo slow.

Verbena87 Tue 02-Oct-18 18:53:59

I loved my moby wrap for the first few months, then a connecta when he got a bit heavy for the stretchy wrap (the Ergo fell off my narrow shoulders all the time, and as a smallish woman with a big heavy baby the connecta fit my frame but was sturdy enough for hulking around my chunky butterball of a baby too)

chilied Tue 02-Oct-18 18:59:23

Used a Boba wrap from about 1 month, would have used from birth but baby came early and didn't order in time. Looks hard to tie, but once you've done its few times it's very quick and you can leave it on all day. Loved it for skin-to-skin, and getting things done whilst she napped - she hated being put down. When she got a bit bigger and wanted to look around more we tried a few from the sling library and like the Connecta best (though Integra is basically the same thing too) still using now at 9 months.

treegone Tue 02-Oct-18 19:30:03

I tried a connecta but found it fiddly. I didn't get on with the cross over strap. Had a wrap for very little baby which once I'd done a few ones was ok, but it was hard to get tight enough. But was streamlined to wear so not bulky round shoulders etc. The best for me is the ergo. Used everyday. Very comfy and easy to use. I would like it more if the straps were not so padded so you could put a jacket on top if you need to. Flat soft straps would be just as good I feel. That was it for me though. Didn't have it in me to try a sling library and wasn't about to buy any more. I'd say a good sling definitely must have waist support. You can't be carrying the weight of your baby from your shoulders for any length of time.

randomsabreuse Tue 02-Oct-18 19:42:42

I needed a sling that could be worn as a cross over back because the padded ones sat horribly under my arms in the front rucksack style carry. Fine with a back carry though.

Really like the structured waist on the Manduca but would sacrifice that in an emergency toddler sling to add portability when not in use.

Pushchairs and prams don't suit our lifestyle (off road walks, home town full of steps and steep cobbled streets) so used slings every day, pram twice and pushchair was largely used by grandparents...

Queenofthedrivensnow Tue 02-Oct-18 19:53:46

Hi mumsnet. Please can you test the ones actually listed. The issues over the high Hair's where you ignored the landslide win of the Ikea antillop and reckoned some shite £150 jobby was mn best was really disconcerting.

I would be delighted to see a mn test that ignores baby bjorn, Tomy, mothercare own brand and even little life and includes wraps, boba, manduca, rose and rebellion and those really fancy woven wraps - essentially what you would find at a sling library not the bollards they sell in mothercare.

Thanks x

Queenofthedrivensnow Tue 02-Oct-18 19:54:42

Also I kept my ergo because I loved it but I think all the soft inward facing carriers are great

INeedNewShoes Tue 02-Oct-18 20:01:43

I should have mentioned that one of the reasons I love the Ergobaby adapt is that for a front carry the straps can be crossed over at the back which is a major plus for my narrow sloping shoulders. Also the lumbar support makes a noticeable difference to my comfort on longer walks.

I would also like to see the structured rucksack type carriers explored as I'm wondering whether one of these would be better for hiking.

NoParticularPattern Tue 02-Oct-18 20:02:19

Stretchy for newborn cuddles and now we have an ergobaby omni 360 and a ring sling which we just love. I’ve been looking at the new hoodie carrier from JPMBB and it looks SO comfy. If I am still carrying my daughter when/if we manage to conceive the next one I will look into an onbu so I can lose the waistband. Also really want to try woven wraps!!

AnnaBegins Tue 02-Oct-18 20:05:31

Great idea! Please please make sure to only recommend ergonomic ones - proper ergonomic ones not the bjorn ones.

I would recommend the close caboo for newborns, then the connecta or tula as a buckle carrier (not the new tula explorer though). Also you can't go wrong with a simple ring sling - maybe a nice budget option like lenny lamb. The izmi is a nice unusual buckle carrier which is super comfy and offers multiple wearing positions.

Might be nice to see some reviews of brands which aren't just the usual bjorn and ergo.

Seafoodeatit Tue 02-Oct-18 20:16:02

I love our Tula free to grow, it adjusts depending babies size quite easily. We've had an ergo in the past too which is good too but I prefer the free to grow because it doesn't need a newborn insert. I'm naturally someone that gets hot and bothered quickly and found that I rarely used the ergo until baby was big enough to go in without the insert as I was getting sweaty and making baby sweaty within an hour.

randomsabreuse Tue 02-Oct-18 20:27:36

Hiking rucksack are good to carry stuff as well as baby plus are a bit more robust if you are more adventurous- the frame is strong enough to stop child getting squished if you have an unexpected encounter with the ground. Less warm than tucked in the coat though...

nervousseacreature Tue 02-Oct-18 20:39:58

Connecta solar - tried one from my sling library then bought my own.

ginmama Tue 02-Oct-18 20:40:59

Manduca, super comfy and easy to adjust between me and much bigger dh, great for tall dc. Toddler Tula too.

poppyseed1663 Tue 02-Oct-18 20:51:09

I love my Izmi sling. Great for babies with shorter legs!

Mwnci123 Tue 02-Oct-18 21:01:11

I loved my Boba stretchy sling for about the first three months with my first (at which point she went off it, and I wanted something more structured and easier to re-adjust after feeding), and I popped my new baby in it from day 2. It's got a lower minimum weight than many others and I found it ideal for new babies. I use a Didymos wrap a lot with this baby but wouldn't have had the confidence with my first. I have a Didymos Didytai, which is so pretty, but I haven't got on with it with either baby. I have a Tula, which I don't particularly like (I find the waist band uncomfortable), but my husband rates it. I have used my Connecta more than any other sling. In fact I have two and sometimes have the baby on my front in one and toddler on my back in the other. I have a pretty Connecta but actually get on best with the plain and functional Solar version- sun protection, dries quickly, packs up very small. I have a sling buying problem, clearly! Two were gifts...

PippilottaLongstocking Tue 02-Oct-18 21:01:37

Hoppediz hop-tye was great when mine was smaller then moved on to a standard woven wrap (didymos) as it’s more versatile

Eeeeek2 Tue 02-Oct-18 21:02:56

Amawrap for under 6 months, snuggly and great for wearing around the house and pop baby in and out off when needed
Ergo original for 4 months plus, more structure and easier on the back once baby is heavy
Little life voyager s4 for long days out with toddler and walking, great for when toddler wants to get in and out without needing to put coats on and off. Space to carry nappy changes, sun cream and snacks too. Rain cover too.

All of these adapt well between 5" petite me and 6' brick wall dh.

Mnhq please don't lump all slings and baby carriers into one, all 3 of mine have complete different purposes and wouldn't be without any of them.

DarwinLoves Tue 02-Oct-18 21:08:44

Boba 4G was a lifesaver. Also rate the connects but used my Boba more

cakegoblin Tue 02-Oct-18 21:09:02

Connecta all the way - faffed around with wraps for a bit but honestly the Toddler Connecta changed my whole experience of parenting, it was so easy once I had the knack! Have recommended to soooooo many people, all of whom have tried mine and then bought their own.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in