Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

To use a baby sling or not!?

(6 Posts)
JakesMum2017 Thu 19-Oct-17 14:50:16

I’m a first timer... 5 week old DS and I have arthritis and walk with a crutch.
Having a nightmare juggling carrying him and walking with my crutch so thinking of investing in a sling.
Any advice? Suggestions for the best type? What to look for/avoid? Nobody I know uses one blush thanks!

Blueroses99 Mon 30-Oct-17 05:17:20

Find your nearest sling library and try a few on. It needs to be comfortable for you and baby, taking into account your condition.

thiskittenbarks Mon 30-Oct-17 06:19:46

Another rec for sling library

ChilliMum Mon 30-Oct-17 06:27:02

I too came to recommend a sling library.

If you don't know where your nearest one is your nearest sure start (if you have one), homestart or possibly your health visitor should have the details.

ProseccoPoppy Mon 30-Oct-17 06:51:12

Another vote for a sling library! Sometimes you can book a private appointment so they will some to you which may be worthwhile if your mobility is a bit restricted. My local one did (cost about £15 or £20 which included a weeks' hire of 2 slings, so cheap really). And definitely rent out a couple for as long as they will let you. That saved us a lot of money in the long run as we rented the sling that I thought would be perfect and although it worked for me DD hated it, so that would have been hopeless! The one we ended up with (a connecta) was one I'd ruled out as looking a bit basic originally. Also, as your little one is too small for some of the fixed carriers they may be able to loan you a stretchy wrap for while baby is tiny, although some babies love those for ages mine was only happy in a wrap up to about 12 weeks so again it was great not to have bought. Good luck!

Olivelor Tue 21-Nov-17 15:17:44

If I were you, I would definitely go for a sling. A sling library would be the best IMO too because you will be able to pick the correct sling that matches your requirement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now