Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Too fat for a baby carrier?!

(13 Posts)
couldntgiveahashtag Tue 18-Apr-17 17:10:30

Yikes! Just had my third and have managed the last six years without one but really fancy a baby carrier but a little concerned as a size 16 plus size mama that I'm not going to be comfortable or even have a carrier big enough to fit?! Has anyone else experienced this? I have been doing SW and have lost weight and really want to excerise now to boost the loss and feel great, I love walking but so restricted to walks with a pushchair! Any recommendations would be amazing! Thanks xx

MegsMog Tue 18-Apr-17 17:12:23

I'm a size 16 with huge boobs and I still babywear my toddler. Just try on a few and see what suits you / feels good. I love a Tula for older babies and toddlers, but for a newborn a stretchy wrap is the best.

MegsMog Tue 18-Apr-17 17:13:23

Have a look at Its A Sling Thing online, if there's no sling library near you, they do online hire. Stay AWAY from BabyBjorn. Enjoy!

ChocChocPorridge Tue 18-Apr-17 17:14:52

I made a mei tai one (you can buy them online too) that fit both me (5' 100kg - so rather more than a size 16) and DP (6'+ and sturdy).

I found stretchy fabric wraps are fine when they're little, and the woven ones fine when they're bigger - but the mei tai was both our go-to carriers - it was comfortable even the few times I carried them when they were toddlers (back carry by then)

ispymincepie Tue 18-Apr-17 17:16:59

Or you could try a size 7 or 8 woven wrap and learn how to tie it by watching YouTube or going to a sling meeting. It's not as hard as it looks! Lenny Lamb is a good affordable brand to start off with smile

bluechameleon Tue 18-Apr-17 17:17:39

Someone on a sling Facebook group asked a question yesterday about this and lots of people who were size 24+ responded saying these carriers fitted them fine (the page is for connecta carriers but I'm sure others will fit too)

DoctorDonnaNoble Tue 18-Apr-17 18:14:06

I'm an 18 with H cup boobs.
Tula fits brilliantly.

JohnLapsleyParlabane Tue 18-Apr-17 18:18:04

My (sling obsessed) best mate is a size 24. She has worn her children in: a Connecta, a Tula, wraps, stretchies, mei tais, onbuhimos, and I think an Ergo.
You'll find something that suits you.

couldntgiveahashtag Tue 18-Apr-17 21:21:06

Thank you everyone xx

AuditAngel Tue 18-Apr-17 21:43:04

I'm a size 20-22 and I had a Mothercare 3 way sling

HonorBright Tue 18-Apr-17 21:45:33

Tulas and Connectas are fine up to about a size 24.

laurzj82 Tue 18-Apr-17 21:49:07

Yeah you will be fine! I was probably an 18-20 and had a caboo and an ergo wrap.

YouAndMeAreGoingToFallOut Wed 19-Apr-17 19:39:34

I'm a 20-22 and I love my Tula. Also used a stretchy wrap when DD was small, and a mei tai.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now