Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. To find out which products have won Mumsnet Best, go to Reviews. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Too fat for a baby carrier?!

(13 Posts)
couldntgiveahashtag Tue 18-Apr-17 17:10:30

Yikes! Just had my third and have managed the last six years without one but really fancy a baby carrier but a little concerned as a size 16 plus size mama that I'm not going to be comfortable or even have a carrier big enough to fit?! Has anyone else experienced this? I have been doing SW and have lost weight and really want to excerise now to boost the loss and feel great, I love walking but so restricted to walks with a pushchair! Any recommendations would be amazing! Thanks xx

MegsMog Tue 18-Apr-17 17:12:23

I'm a size 16 with huge boobs and I still babywear my toddler. Just try on a few and see what suits you / feels good. I love a Tula for older babies and toddlers, but for a newborn a stretchy wrap is the best.

MegsMog Tue 18-Apr-17 17:13:23

Have a look at Its A Sling Thing online, if there's no sling library near you, they do online hire. Stay AWAY from BabyBjorn. Enjoy!

ChocChocPorridge Tue 18-Apr-17 17:14:52

I made a mei tai one (you can buy them online too) that fit both me (5' 100kg - so rather more than a size 16) and DP (6'+ and sturdy).

I found stretchy fabric wraps are fine when they're little, and the woven ones fine when they're bigger - but the mei tai was both our go-to carriers - it was comfortable even the few times I carried them when they were toddlers (back carry by then)

ispymincepie Tue 18-Apr-17 17:16:59

Or you could try a size 7 or 8 woven wrap and learn how to tie it by watching YouTube or going to a sling meeting. It's not as hard as it looks! Lenny Lamb is a good affordable brand to start off with smile

bluechameleon Tue 18-Apr-17 17:17:39

Someone on a sling Facebook group asked a question yesterday about this and lots of people who were size 24+ responded saying these carriers fitted them fine (the page is for connecta carriers but I'm sure others will fit too)

DoctorDonnaNoble Tue 18-Apr-17 18:14:06

I'm an 18 with H cup boobs.
Tula fits brilliantly.

JohnLapsleyParlabane Tue 18-Apr-17 18:18:04

My (sling obsessed) best mate is a size 24. She has worn her children in: a Connecta, a Tula, wraps, stretchies, mei tais, onbuhimos, and I think an Ergo.
You'll find something that suits you.

couldntgiveahashtag Tue 18-Apr-17 21:21:06

Thank you everyone xx

AuditAngel Tue 18-Apr-17 21:43:04

I'm a size 20-22 and I had a Mothercare 3 way sling

HonorBright Tue 18-Apr-17 21:45:33

Tulas and Connectas are fine up to about a size 24.

laurzj82 Tue 18-Apr-17 21:49:07

Yeah you will be fine! I was probably an 18-20 and had a caboo and an ergo wrap.

YouAndMeAreGoingToFallOut Wed 19-Apr-17 19:39:34

I'm a 20-22 and I love my Tula. Also used a stretchy wrap when DD was small, and a mei tai.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: