Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Ama wrap sling always heading south!

(6 Posts)
Janubub Thu 09-Mar-17 13:11:43

Hints needed please! Baby loves the sling but always seems to slip down, despite starting with head right up under my chin. To clarify, the baby isn't slipping into the sling fabric but rather than whole baby-fabric combo seems to head south over time (first 30 minutes or so) - top of head ends up level with my armpits! Am I missing something?!? How do I keep baby "up"?

BertieBotts Thu 09-Mar-17 13:15:19

You need to make it tighter, slings normally loosen up as you go. 'Ten minutes too tight' was the rule I used to hear used.

I'm not familiar with the Ama, is it a stretchy wrap or a woven one?

IkaBaar Thu 09-Mar-17 13:16:52

Are you tying it tight enough, to start with it will feel quite tight. My DH had this issue, I blamed his belly and not having a waist to tie the bottom bit at!

If you can't get the hang of it, are there any sling meets close to you?

CherryHamilton Thu 09-Mar-17 21:04:18

Love my AmaWrap! You definitely need to wrap it tighter to begin with, my daughter is now 1 and I still wrap her in it and it doesn't sag at all.
Its a stretchy wrap but its the sturdiest one I have come across (ie not as stretchy as some of the ones on the market). Make sure you wrap it so your close enough to kiss your babys head.

BumblebeeBum Thu 09-Mar-17 21:12:09

After you have tied it on but before you put baby in - 1) push down central horizontal band out of the way towards your waist and 2) put your hands between your body and the the cross in your front in a praying motion and move your hands outwards.

It will bring all the slack to the front. You can see all the slack and work it along to the ends of the wrap and retie if you need to.

BertieBotts Thu 09-Mar-17 22:44:42

Okay yep, with a stretchy one you've got to tie it before you put the baby in, and don't leave any space for them. Just tie it on so it's snug (not so tight you can't breathe obv)

The stretch in the fabric will allow the baby to nestle in but be snug enough to support you and them properly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now