Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Best carriers which are easy to put on alone?

(11 Posts)
BettyOBarley Tue 14-Feb-17 18:46:53

I'm looking for a carrier for my 5 month old very big baby! he was 8kg before Christmas so must be 9kg+ now.

I mostly want it for nursery / supermarket runs with my toddler when DH is at work so one which is easy to fasten and get baby in by myself is number one priority...I like the look of the ergo but have read it's not easy to fasten alone?

I've been to the local sling meet a while ago but didn't find them very helpful tbh so thought I would ask here. Does anyone have any recommendations please ?

One which is not too pricey would be good too as I will use the buggy mostly.

ProseccoPoppy Tue 14-Feb-17 18:50:23

I found a connecta much easier to do up alone than an ergo (rented both and a manduka from a sling library - the connecta was by far the best and what I ended up buying). As a bonus they are on the cheaper end of the scale, loads of choice of print and fold up v small to stick in the change bag "just in case".

bonjovigirl Tue 14-Feb-17 18:57:57

I have the ergo 360 and use it regularly. I find it ok to use/put on alone if baby on my front (either forward facing or rear facing). I haven't used it on my back yet and can imagine that is nigh on impossible without help!
Reason for choosing Ergo360 was that the wide hip belt and shoulder restraints really seemed to help with supporting baby's weight more evenly so I didn't just have loads of back pain all the time. But agree that it's not cheap, maybe look into trying/buying through an NCT or mother/baby sale?

Blazedandconfused Tue 14-Feb-17 19:01:58

I have an ergo. Very easy to put on and off and soooo comfy.

SweepTheHalls Tue 14-Feb-17 19:02:52

I use a Connecta, really easy to do alone smile

Longwalkoffashortpier Tue 14-Feb-17 19:09:32

I have a tula and have previously had an ergo.

I could or both on alone but find the tula comfort for me. If you YouTube how to do a hip scoot this is what I found easiest x

MinisWin Tue 14-Feb-17 19:10:25

Have a look at Lillebaby as an alternative to the Ergo, does exactly the same things, wide hip position etc, but with (I think) a much better waist belt and lumbar support, so good for heavy babies. They are available in John Lewis. I use mine alone all the time with no issues.

BettyOBarley Tue 14-Feb-17 21:05:56

Thank you all for the quick replies!

I've just rented a Connecta from an online sling library and have the others on my list now!

olympicsrock Tue 14-Feb-17 21:09:32

I used my ergo to do the supermarket and school runs. I was able to put ds on my back without help until he was about 15 months. He wants to walk now and is a bit heavy to carry.

savagehk Tue 14-Feb-17 21:09:53

Pity that the sling meet wasn't great, as I did struggle to find a carrier that fitted me well - I'm quite petite so most of them were uncomfortable as I couldn't get straps etc tight enough - I went through all of their stock smile
I've not had any issues getting baby into sling though - we have a connecta and a wompat, both worked well.

PotteringAlong Tue 14-Feb-17 21:10:28

Connecta fan here too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now