Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Lillebaby, Ergobaby or Baby Bjorn One? Or another carrier?

(42 Posts)
Nickname1980 Fri 30-Dec-16 16:51:50

Hi all! I'm quite petite and worry that all of these may swamp me a bit. Also don't want me or the baby to roast in it!

Any pros and cons for all? Which did you choose and why?

I don't have a great back and also had a c-section so don't want it to be too tricky over my scar. Just want something I can v easily put on myself that my baby will find v comfortable!

YokoUhOh Fri 30-Dec-16 16:56:35

I like the Ergo, which I've used with DS2 since he was born (with insert to start with, although he grew out of it within a couple of weeks).

Baby Bjorns aren't recommended as they don't allow the baby to sit in a 'froggy' position, which affects their hips.

If you have a sling library near you, you could try out some slings first. I preferred the Moby Wrap to start with when both DS1 and 2 were tiny. I hear the close Caboo is good, too. We then graduated to Ergo/Manduca.

YokoUhOh Fri 30-Dec-16 16:57:14

(I'm also under 5'4"!)

PotteringAlong Fri 30-Dec-16 16:58:12

Petit connecta?

Nickname1980 Fri 30-Dec-16 17:00:57

Thanks YokoUhOh! How long did you keep your little one in the newborn insert?

I haven't come across that one before, pottering! I will check it out!

bluechameleon Fri 30-Dec-16 17:01:45

Don't buy a baby bjorn. They are expensive and uncomfortable. I went to a sling library in desperation because I could hardly bear to carry my son anymore in the bb. It was a revelation to see the range of slings available. I ended up hiring one which I loved so I bought one second hand on Facebook. It is really personal which you prefer so I'd recommend hiring first - lots of areas have a sling library, or there are some companies who do postal hire.

FaithFromTheRealmsOfGlory Fri 30-Dec-16 17:02:00

Ergo of those you suggested. Definitely don't recommend the baby Bjorn due to the hip issues.

I'd second trying a sling library. I liked the look of the ergo but didn't find it comfortable on. I ended up buying a Tula. Not the cheapest but so comfy and definitely worth the money!

everythingis Fri 30-Dec-16 17:02:35

Take bjorn off the list. Slings/carriers need to be knee to knee so the baby sits bum down legs slightly raised and bent at the knee so the carrier should reach from inside one knee to the other on the baby. Hope that made sense.
Also inward facing only as babies need to be able to turn their face inward when they feel over stimulated.

Ergo, beco, connecta, rose and rebellion and so on are probably a matter of taste but they all fit slightly differently.

Buckle carriers are a god send one you get the hang of them - no more waiting for lifts etc! You will end up taking out less junk with you too as you can'tjudt dump it in the pram.

everythingis Fri 30-Dec-16 17:04:07

I am 5, 4'' I had an ergo it was fine - they will all tire you out eventually but not when the baby is tiny.

17caterpillars1mouse Fri 30-Dec-16 17:04:23

I have a Bekko Soleil which I have been using with DD since 6 months. We used a caboo close before that. Becko can be used from birth with a newborn insert

MuppetsChristmasCarol Fri 30-Dec-16 17:08:46

I'm 5ft4 and I love my ergo baby performance. However, the newborn insert is useless, so don't both with that and get a stretchy wrap (we have a snugiwrap) for use when they're tiny.

A friend has a lilibaby which looks quite similar to my ergo. Just steer clear of baby Bjorns - babies legs and bum should be M shaped, whereas baby bjorns let the legs dangle.

Nickname1980 Fri 30-Dec-16 17:11:37

Ooh this is so useful! Ok - baby bjorn is officially crossed off the list!

I haven't heard of sling libraries before, what a great idea. I'm going to find one!

Are the Ergos easy to put on by yourself?

Artandco Fri 30-Dec-16 17:13:40

Boba 4g or manduca

Personally I'm 5'4 and slim built and the Ergo was way too big for me. The hip straps didn't go small enough and the shoulder straps were too far apart so kept sliding off when I tried as seem to be made for wider shoulders. Worked fine for Dh but he's a huge 6'3 with wide shoulders.

Emmerdalefan Fri 30-Dec-16 17:14:25

Baby bjorn HUGE MEGA NO NO . I'd recommend a close caboo to start then once baby bigger a Tula or connecta. Xx

Corabell Fri 30-Dec-16 17:16:19

The baby bjorn "one" does carry the baby ergonomically and in the groggy shape - unlike the big standard bb which is shit.

I have the "one" and I love it.

Corabell Fri 30-Dec-16 17:16:48

Froggy, not groggy.

Emmerdalefan Fri 30-Dec-16 17:20:18

My close caboo was my favorite ever sling. Iv never used a pushchair because I found baby wearing so much more practical. I'm a busy farmers wife and found my baby wearing carriers allowed me to get on doing my horses and helping around farm. Please visit your local sling library amd get properly fitted for one. There are so many and it's best to try a load on. I prefered stretchy wraps amd my caboo to start but then as dd got older loved buckles (connect , tula , r&r ) . Please Google local sling library. I promise you will never look back x

ispymincepie Fri 30-Dec-16 17:33:07

You may prefer something less structured like a Connecta or Nova full buckles x

MuppetsChristmasCarol Fri 30-Dec-16 18:35:51

My ergo is really easy to put on. The website has lots of videos on how to use each type in different positions. I really would advise to not waste your money on the infant insert though (it's only needed for the first few weeks, but is so thick it always made ds very hot)! A stretchy wrap is the same price and more useful and you can use it for longer.

A sling library sounds like it would be useful to you. My local one showed me how to tie a stretchy wrap and had different types for hire.

rew0077 Fri 30-Dec-16 19:50:26

I'm petit and use the BB one and like it.
It is certified and does support babies hips (the original isn't). I did lots of research as my baby was breach and her hips were at more risk.
People's recommendations are useful (if factually correct!) but ultimately you need to try some out. I'd really recommend going to a sling library.
I used a fabric wrap for the first 4 weeks before using the BBC one air (summer fabric so reduces overheating) as that just suited us.

jpeg28 Sat 31-Dec-16 17:33:32

My friends have asked what I would like and have offered to club together .. I'm thinking of asking for an ergo360 with newborn insert. However, baby is due in April and I'm worried baby will get too hot! I'm wondering whether it's worth still asking them for it? I probably can't afford to buy it myself and they are desperate to know what to buy!!

SerialReJoiner Sat 31-Dec-16 17:37:59

Another option is a ring sling. Made of fabric and can be adjusted to fit a newborn up to toddler. I've managed to bf with a ring sling on the school run no less! It takes a bit of learning to get it right, but I have been happy using one from day 1.

Nickname1980 Sat 31-Dec-16 18:19:51

Ooh so many choices!

Okay that's interesting - so the Baby Bjorn One is a good one.

It sounds like most people love their Ergos. I am googling a Sling Library near me!

serialrejoiner - I have always fancied myself as a ringsling type smile. Because they look so cool and gorgeous. But... are they easy? I know how lazy I am - I just like racing out the door!

MuppetsChristmasCarol Sat 31-Dec-16 18:32:56

@jpeg28 The ergo is worth it (I have either the 360 or a performance one in slate grey so we can use it for climbing mountains in the spring) but I really found the infant insert too thick and hot for my baby in August/September. I could also never reliably get the baby positioned it a way that felt safe with the insert. Some occasions when DH or I used it it was absolutely fine, then others it felt wrong and we couldn't figure out why. We used it a handful of times before just using a stretchy wrap I had on free hire from a sling library until DS was big enough to use the ergo without the insert.

I really, really love the ergo, but you can get a cheap stretchy for the same price as the ergo infant insert, and I can still use the stretchy round the house now on days DS needs to be held a bit more than usual, whereas as soon as the baby is bigger than about 13.5lb the insert is no longer useful.

Just my opinion anyway (can you tell I was very disappointed with the infant insert?!).

Nickname1980 Sat 31-Dec-16 18:37:50

muppet, is the newborn insert just done on weight? I'm not sure what my LO weighs tbh but he's v big (but only 10 weeks old).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now