Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Baby backpack and carrier advice

(12 Posts)
Novicemother79 Wed 24-Feb-16 21:54:00

Can anyone advise what the best backpack or baby carrier is please? I am looking for something that will serve well for a good day out walking. Also what age is recommended that DD can go into it?

PotteringAlong Wed 24-Feb-16 21:57:36

I carried mine from 3 days old. Your best bet is to google your local sling library - you will be able to go along and try lots of carriers and see which one suits you best before you buy one.

cudbywestrangers Wed 24-Feb-16 22:10:14

For a backpack i think it's probably around 6 months. We have a li little life one that we have taken on some good walks in the lakes and Yorkshire. I think it's best to go and try some out though as you need one that fits well to make it comfortable to carry. We also went for a 5 point harness so that ds didn't seemed more secure on uneven ground.

HelenF35 Wed 24-Feb-16 22:17:41

You could try something like a connecta, ergo or a Tula which are ergonomic so more comfortable for baby and you than a backpack carrier. They can be used for back carries also and are fastened with buckles so quick to put on. Local sling library is the best place to start as different carriers suit different people. You can carry in most of these from birth but may need an insert for a few months.

IndomitabIe Wed 24-Feb-16 22:19:06

We've got an Osprey Poco (backpack) and an Ergo original (soft structure carrier).

DH prefers the Poco, though it only got a handful of uses before DS grew out of it, and I think it's suitable from 6 months. I found it inordinately heavy and uncomfortable. We chose the Osprey Poco as Osprey are possible the best backpack manufacturers out there and DH ^loooves^-- them--

I preferred to use the Ergo, back or front, and we used it from~5 months but it can be used earlier (and from birth with a newborn insert). I found it far, far more comfortable, carried DS till after he turned 4 and could carry him for hours no problem.

Your best bet is to try several through a sling library. Not just a quick carry either, hire them for a few days at a time of you can. A good carrier is a brilliant investment (I hardly used the buggy again).

HelenF35 Wed 24-Feb-16 22:19:42

Forgot to say back carries generally can't be done till 6 months and sitting independently.

jimpam Wed 24-Feb-16 22:26:06

Another vote for ergo- I can't recommend highly enough. We loved ours. Now DS is bigger we have a toddler tula which is also brilliant. Prefer the ergo for when they're little though, especially as it has a big zippy pocket on the front. We have an osprey backpack thing but have probably used it 5 times because, as said above, it is stupidly heavy. OH likes it because it looks like a bit of outdoor kit but it's really impractical for day to day use.

IndomitabIe Wed 24-Feb-16 22:28:44

Oh yes, the ergo pocket is ideal: small pack of wipes & a spare nappy in there and you're good to go any time! Perfect!

Novicemother79 Thu 25-Feb-16 07:48:12

Thank you for all the advice. DH is keen on the Osprey so pleased to get some honest feedback before spending that level of money!

Acorncat Thu 25-Feb-16 08:30:54

I have the osprey poco premium and I like it. I don't use it often to be fair, but plan to in summer. But I can carry DS (18m) for miles, last walk was 8.5 miles and no pain. It does rub DH on his hips but I suspect it's no fitted right on him and he doesn't have the fat layer I have. I use a boba 4g for everyday use, also recommend.

moggle Wed 09-Mar-16 18:49:22

I like our ergo a lot but find it too hot having DD squished against me for long walks. We have a little life cross country which we bring in the car when we are planning a hike. DD prefers it too as she can see much more. We got it at a charity shop for £15 in great condition; worth looking about for one second hand (doubt you'll get an osprey one though!)

GemmaB78 Wed 20-Apr-16 21:52:09

We have a littlelife voyager and really rate it. I use it daily to put my DS in whilst I am seeing to my horse. We also use it on hikes at the weekends. DS loves being in it and seeing the world around him. We have used it from 6 months, once he was sitting well independently.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now