Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Ring slings

(4 Posts)
bluepuzzle Tue 12-Jan-16 15:49:56

Are ring slings OK to use from birth, even if the baby is very small?

I have a manduca, which I loved for my first, but I think he had to be 4kg before it was safe to put him in it.

I also have an Oscha ring sling, and am wondering if it would be OK to use even if baby is tiny? Is there a minimum weight for ring slings?

DrCoconut Sun 24-Jan-16 19:35:51

You can use a ring sling from birth. DS 3 was well under a month old when we started. I'm assuming you know how to use it correctly, TICKS etc and the baby has no health issues? I had no idea to begin with (I'm still a novice) and went to a sling library session to get some help.

ConesOfDunshire Sun 24-Jan-16 22:36:31

This link has a very useful visual guide.

Make sure that baby is high up on your chest (close enough to kiss) and that you can get a finger between chin and chest to ensure that airway isn't compressed. You need to be able to see their face, and don't attempt a cradle carry with a tiny baby - you want them high and tight on your chest. You might find that a very thick or wide RS just has too much fabric for a very tiny newborn, so it depends on the blend of your Oscha. A good friend carried her newborn in a vanilla roses from birth.

bluepuzzle Thu 28-Jan-16 11:54:22

Thanks!

Baby isn't here yet but is likely to be early and also very small. Other than that no health issues.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now