Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Comfy carrier for a 14mo who wants to see where they're going

(4 Posts)
moggle Tue 12-Jan-16 15:49:10

I used a stretchy wrap for DD when she was tiny and then an Ergo, however she's never been that happy in the Ergo, but I love carrying her and wonder if there are any alternatives before I give it up. When she was younger she'd soon nod off in a front carry, however before she went to sleep she would whinge and wriggle around. Now she's older and obviously isn't always up for a nap! She fully pushes against me with her hands/arms and it's really annoying and uncomfortable, and obviously she isn't happy either. I've tried her on my back and it is usually the same. Most of the time she is straining to see where we are going. Doesn't seem to make any difference how often I stop to point out interesting things to the side. I have tried the hip carry with the Ergo just once in desperation (Boxing day muddy walk in the middle of nowhere!) and she absolutely loved it but I found it really uncomfortable and was aching afterwards.
She loves our littlelife backpack - I assume because she is up so high she can see everything - but I find it too heavy really with her in it too, although DH is fine with it - I liked the ergo for convenience - we keep it in the car to be whipped out when the buggy is too much of a faff.

Are there any other options I'm missing? Are hipseat type carriers any good or are they always going to cause strain due to the uneven-ness of the weight? Thanks!!

Hufflepuffin Tue 12-Jan-16 20:41:31

I've heard good things about the scootababy hip carrier. But she should be able to look around well in a nice high back carrier.

moggle Tue 12-Jan-16 21:42:57

She is quite short Hufflepuffin, only 10th percentile bless her! So would have to be pretty high for her to see over my shoulder.

I will look into the scootababy, thanks. Not sure how excited DH is going to be if I suggest getting a new carrier :-D although I got the ergo for £9 and the backpack for £11 at a local charity shop so really I've saved us loads of money already...!?!
Think I'll look at reviews for other lighter and more compact backpack carriers too.

moggle Tue 02-Feb-16 20:42:14

Just wanted to add that I bought a scootababy on eBay after trying it at a sling library and it is great. DD seems much happier in it than she was in the Ergo so I think it will be really useful for a while, as she's not particularly keen on walking around yet when we are out and about. Thanks for the recommendation!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now