Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Sling or Carrier or Both?

(6 Posts)
Lung Mon 11-May-15 11:57:22

Hi,
I'm looking for some help regarding slings and carriers as I'm rather lost. Our 1st baby is due in 5 weeks, and my mother-in-law has bought us a Manduca sling as a present. We haven't even tried any slings yet, so we've no idea if it's any good. The sling doesn't appear to allow you to carry the baby on the back which sounds like a huge downside to me, but as I have no experience I could very well be wrong. Assuming it's ok, will we still need a carrier as well? Amazon have an Ergo Original on sale today, so should we get one of those too as they seem to get very good reviews? We're quite outdoors-y and would like to go walking with the baby if that matters.
Many thanks.

CMOTDibbler Mon 11-May-15 12:07:08

You can use a Manduca on your back, and its a very similar design to the Ergo. Its best to have a baby on your front till at least 6 months and they can hold their head up for extended periods.

You shouldn't need a carrier, though slings are quite a personal choice, and you may find something else suits you better as time goes on. If theres a sling library close to you then you can try a variety for free

Lung Mon 11-May-15 12:31:05

Ah, I don't think I was clear. The Manduca we're being given is a sling, not a carrier.

Lung Mon 11-May-15 12:32:51

This one to be precise: www.manduca.de/en.your-manduca-sling.html

CMOTDibbler Mon 11-May-15 12:38:52

Ah, yes, those are only suitable for littlies, but lovely and snuggly.

So you would need something else as they get older and heavier - personally, I didn't get on with an Ergo, but loved Meitais

MaraThonbar Mon 11-May-15 21:04:12

The Manduca sling will be great while baby is tiny. You will need to move on to a carrier by about six months but don't buy anything now. Wait, try a few options from your sling library once baby is here, and decide then. Ergos are popular but they aren't everyone's cup of tea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now