Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Complete newby needs sling help

(9 Posts)
Daisybell1 Fri 14-Oct-11 15:18:35

Hi there

I really hope you ladies can help me! I normally hang out in the pushchairs section, being something of an addict, but I'm realising I also need a sling/baby carrier.

Some info:

Baby is currently 2 weeks old, and 8lb.
Sling would be used for trips out as she's not a clingy baby and doesn't demand to be held all day
We live on a farm so am thinking of using it for country walks, carrying her when farming etc
OH likes the idea of being able to carry her in a sling, so long as its not too girly (ie butch enough for him to be seen with her at sheep sales etc)

The kind of thoughts/questions I've got are:
Probably prefer the idea of a soft structured carrier to a fabric wrap, as easier for OH
Want her to be facing in initially
What are the issues with her facing out when on my front (I notice the Ergo says babies must not face outwards)?
Want something which is good for her hips (we have nicknamed her 'Frog baby' because of how she prefers to hold her legs!)

All my friends have the Baby Bjorn, but I know they're controversial. There is a new one out though for babies - is that better?
A friend lent us her Bruin 3-1 and I can't fathom any of the buckles/straps so it needs to be easy to use!

Basically, I'm really confused! Can you give us some recommendations? Unfortunately, there are no sling libraries or meets near us to try on, so we'd be buying (although probably second hand) blind!

Many thanks

Loopymumsy Fri 14-Oct-11 17:25:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PessimisticMissPiggy Fri 14-Oct-11 17:43:01

I love my Moby! Now DD is 16lbs it's a little too stretchy but I've had loads of out of it.

PessimisticMissPiggy Fri 14-Oct-11 17:43:21

Loads of use, I mean.

pootlebug Fri 14-Oct-11 19:51:26

I agree with Loopymumsy - Manduca. Another possibility is the Connecta, but they are no longer sold new....they come up on ebay though. Or the Beco Butterfly II.

You can use an Ergo from newborn if you add their infant insert - but I don't love the insert....a great big padded thing that can make the baby very warm. Carriers like the Manduca and Beco that have an integrated insert work much better with small babies imo.

PessimisticMissPiggy Fri 14-Oct-11 20:06:35

Ergo infant insert is crap. I used mine once! I'm hoping to get use out of the carrier when DD is a bit bigger.

RitaMorgan Fri 14-Oct-11 20:11:24

I have a Beco Butterfly - love it. I didn't use it when ds was very little (had a Close carrier) but did have it facing in on my front when he was an older baby, and on my back from about 10 months (could have back carried earlier though).

I have a plain black one so fine for DP to use too. It's easy to use (buckles, nothing to tie) and you can put the baby in before you put it on your back, or switch it between people carrying without taking the baby out.

Daisybell1 Sun 16-Oct-11 08:52:42

Thank you for the suggestions! We tried out the bruin, just for the concept but it was a nightmare, baby wasn't happy and my back hurt after about 5mins. Having looked online, the manduca looks like it could be just the ticket, and have found somewhere that hires them for a couple of weeks - worth trying before splashing out?

Loopymumsy Sun 16-Oct-11 13:00:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now