Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Have long can you have a baby in an Ergo (or any carrier)?

(12 Posts)
HoppedOnAFairy Sat 08-Oct-11 12:09:20

My baby boy is 6 weeks old, and although I really want to carry him, I have been struggling with slings. I have now got an Ergo with infant insert and I think it will work for us. But how long can I keep him in it? If I go and meet my NCT friends for a coffee, can he be the whole time in it?

HoppedOnAFairy Sat 08-Oct-11 13:36:45

Just realised I made a mistake in the title, I meant to say HOW long!

BertieBotts Sat 08-Oct-11 13:41:19

Possibly not the whole time in the insert in an Ergo, especially inside, because it is very warm. But temperature permitting, if it's a carrier which has good back and leg position then they can be in them for hours.

TBH, with a baby that young you will probably have to feed and/or change at least every hour or two, so I wouldn't worry about it, though I wouldn't really want to be drinking hot coffee with a baby strapped to me, just in case of any drink spilling accidents.

mousymouse Sat 08-Oct-11 13:41:39

I still carry my dd regularly. she is 22m and weighs about 14kg.
went hiking this summer, including up one of the highest sanddunes in europe. climbing fences and walls.
you will get usef to the weight gradually.

mousymouse Sat 08-Oct-11 13:43:51

oh, I think up to two hours is fine. the nice thing about the ergo is that you can sit down because baby's feet are not in the way

BertieBotts Sat 08-Oct-11 13:50:22

To check temperature, BTW, just put your finger down the back of his neck. If it's sweaty, he's too hot, if it's cool, he's too cold. Anything in between is fine.

pootlebug Sun 09-Oct-11 11:19:35

As a pp said, the main thing I'd be concerned about with the Ergo + insert is overheating. That aside, they can stay in a carrier for hours - that's one of the advantages of choosing a carrier that holds them in a nice ergonomic position. With a young baby, until they are ready for a feed or nappy change they'll be fine.

HoppedOnAFairy Tue 11-Oct-11 09:49:24

Oh, and which position is right for their head?? Is it leaning back away from you? If so, how far back? I find that if it is not back enough he tends to drop over to my chest in quite a scary way. If his cheek is against my chest that feels comfortable, but it feels like he is slouching, and I am not sure how good it is on his neck. Any advice anyone?

HoppedOnAFairy Tue 11-Oct-11 09:49:41

Oh, and which position is right for their head?? Is it leaning back away from you? If so, how far back? I find that if it is not back enough he tends to drop over to my chest in quite a scary way. If his cheek is against my chest that feels comfortable, but it feels like he is slouching, and I am not sure how good it is on his neck. Any advice anyone?

perfectstorm Wed 12-Oct-11 15:04:22

DS is still in his Ergo. He's 3, but HUGE. Really huge - a little mate of his is 4 in feb and masses smaller, and my aunt who teaches Reception says she has several quite a lot littler than him. A good structured soft carrier is one hell of a lot easier than carrying in arms (I can't do that now for more than a minute) - I've carried him for 2 miles with a laptop bag over one shoulder, too. It's much less of a faff than holding a toddler's hand while pushing a buggy. Mostly now I used it as a backup when taking him out, in case his little legs can't take it. It's also really useful if you get caught in rain, as 1 umbrella does for us both. I keep a mini umbrella in my bag for that.

perfectstorm Wed 12-Oct-11 15:05:15

And bumping in case anyone else knows the leaning answer - I had a wrap sling when DS was that tiny, sorry.

HoppedOnAFairy Thu 13-Oct-11 14:45:13

Cheers. I was referring to the infant insert specifically.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now