Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

recommendations for a new sling

(5 Posts)
TinyPenguin Mon 03-Oct-11 14:43:19

my daughter will be 21 months old when her new baby sibling arrives - I'm planning to continue using the pushchair for my daughter & to carry the new baby in a sling. I had a Moby wrap and a ring sling for my daughter - I found that with the Moby wrap I got very warm on longer walks - and lots of material around my waist (long tails, as am fairly slim build). I liked the ring sling for it's ease of slipping on and off quickly - as I didn't like being 'swaddled' in the Moby wrap's material when baby was out of the sling. But the ring sling seemed to put pressure on my shoulder after wearing or a long while.
so... Basically I'm looking for a carrier that will provide good back support/shoulder support, lightweight, easy to slip on and off & keeps my baby's legs in a neat 'squat' position (i.e. Not dangling like in a baby Bjorn)

what can anyone recommend?

Iamjustthemilkmachine Mon 03-Oct-11 22:16:55

Mei tais are lovely, or a soft structured carrier ergo style.

Loopymumsy Tue 04-Oct-11 13:05:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BertieBotts Wed 05-Oct-11 11:04:49

I'd look for a shorter wrap, personally, and perhaps one in a lighter material, such as a gauze wrap. The moby in particular is very bulky. If you want to use what you have and don't mind butchering it, you could in fact shorten the tails yourself just by cutting them, no need to hem it or anything as jersey fabric just curls up at the ends rather than fraying. Or alternatively it might be best to sell the moby to fund the new sling, or look on forums to see if anyone is interested in a trade.

A mei tai might be good as a previous poster suggested as it's just a square of material with straps which you tie. You can get wider straps (better for support, older babies etc) or thinner straps which will be cooler, but will get uncomfortable as the baby gets bigger.

pootlebug Thu 06-Oct-11 21:17:36

The Wrapsody Stretch woven wraps are much thinner but more supportive than a Moby. Same idea but just much nicer to wear imo.

The Manduca is good in a front carry, but if you're slim/petite-ish you'll probably find the straps too long in a back carry.

A carrier called the Connecta, which is not made any more, but comes up on Ebay etc is good from newborn, easy to put on, and tends to fit a range of sizes of people pretty well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now