Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

SLing for newborn?

(10 Posts)
TeacupTempest Tue 20-Sep-11 15:06:02

I have a moby wrap already but wondering if I should get a sling too for when little one is newborn?

Any advice?

thisisyesterday Tue 20-Sep-11 15:07:58

a moby is perfect for a newborn

thesurgeonsmate Tue 20-Sep-11 15:18:00

I think Moby is all you need. I'm an amateur first timer, and mine was certainly in her Moby within a fortnight. By which I mean that's when I was ready to give it a go. I'm sure an expert would say they'd get theirs into the Moby within the day! There is a newborn hold that keeps them all tucked up inside, it's even less faff than the position for older babies, you just slide them in, no wrangling of legs or anything.

fraktious Tue 20-Sep-11 15:32:26

One of the first things I did when we brought DS home was wrap him in a stretchy which is all we used for pretty much the first 6 weeks. Then we started using the ring sling more and I moved onto wovens, DH converted at about 4 months because DS is heavy and squirmy so we needed something with less give.

A Moby is all you really need at the start but what else were you thinking of?

TeacupTempest Tue 20-Sep-11 16:00:41

Thanks. Not sure what else I was thinking of. I had only seen older children in the moby wrap and was wondering if I should also get an over the shoulder sling type thing.....

God knows I am getting myself confused about slings, rucksacks, pushchairs, breast pumps and all sorts!!

thesurgeonsmate Tue 20-Sep-11 16:16:57

And if your baby is light and not at all squirmy the Moby might last you a lot longer than 4 months smile. I bought a Mei Tai to move dd onto my back at about a year or so.

4madboys Tue 20-Sep-11 16:29:11

moby wrap will be fine, i had my dd in mine within days, it was great, she is now 9mths and weighs almost 23lb and i had her in it forward facing for the school run yesterday, its an hour round trip and i was pushing a heavy toddler, it was fine smile

i also have a mei tai as well which is good and a wilkinet and two ring slings, but the moby is my fave sling, i shall be very sad when i give it my sister in the new year (she is due her first baby and dd is my last)

fraktious Tue 20-Sep-11 18:42:43

Over the shoulder is good for up/down/up/down but not as comfortable as a wrap and definitely not as good for a newborn IMO.

I like it at the mo because DS is tweeting so periodically wants to be cuddled then play then cuddle then play etc so I'd be rewrapping him with whole time! I can see how it will come into its own when he's walking and wants a quick carry.

It's a whole world of baby stuff but for now I'd say you have the sling sorted.

(quick breast pump recommendation if you're planning to express frequently in large amounts - Ameda Lactaline)

fraktious Tue 20-Sep-11 18:43:29

I have a very advanced baby to be on twitter so young! Teething rather than tweeting.

TeacupTempest Tue 20-Sep-11 18:53:41

Strangely I didn't bat an eye at your DS tweeting; children are so advanced these days!

Thanks for the pump recommendation I shall check it out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now