Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Ergos, can you tell me about them?

(20 Posts)
TribbleWithoutACause Tue 13-Sep-11 16:34:33

Ds is getting very clingy but is too big to be hoiked around in the moby wrap that I have and I would kind of like my hands back.

I've been looking at the ergos, are they any good?

Thanks

mamsnet Tue 13-Sep-11 16:36:45

I didn't discover them in time myself but I know a couple of long term sling users who swear that they are the be all and end all in supporting the child correctly.. and very comfy to wear.

Loopymumsy Tue 13-Sep-11 21:36:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RhinestoneCowgirl Tue 13-Sep-11 21:39:50

Mine has been through 2 DC, still carry DD sometimes (she is 2.8yrs). I've found it great, soon got the hang of back carries. DH happy to use it too as it looks fairly rugged (and not wafty and tie-dye wink)

IwannaSleep Tue 13-Sep-11 21:40:19

I've an ergo and absolutely love it. Had a baba sling beforehand. Ergo is very comfortable and easy to use, my LO is 11 months old and really likes it. Haven't really tried her on my back though. I definitely think they are worth every penny.

Gastonladybird Tue 13-Sep-11 21:42:32

Love it - only just stopped using it for dd (3) and will use again with dd2. Doesn't Hang off your shoulders like baby bjorn . I also like fact it has fastenings as tie ones alarm me.

RitaMorgan Tue 13-Sep-11 21:43:42

I've got a Beco which is similar - the thing I love most about the Beco is that you can put the baby in it first and then swing it onto your back. I had a Rose & Rebellion first but struggled a bit with needing to get the baby and sling onto your back in one go. Not sure if you can put the baby in first with an Ergo though.

I find the Beco very comfy front and back carrying though, and ds can sleep on my back too.

RhinestoneCowgirl Tue 13-Sep-11 21:50:37

With the ergo I usually hold DD on my left hip, lean forward slightly and catch hold of her right foot and sort of shuft her up on to my back - much easier to do than explain grin

TheWicketKeeperIsDown Wed 14-Sep-11 16:31:49

The Ergo gets very good press from users, but I was warned off them and onto a Beco instead by an online sling shop as I'm such a midget (Ergos are apparently difficult to get to fit if you're wee). I've seen that repeated on various threads since. The Beco is great.

brachy Wed 14-Sep-11 21:18:09

I love my Ergo. I use it regularly with my 23month old (12kgs) DS. we often walk for 5 miles several times a week and I have no probs with him on my back.

pootlebug Sat 17-Sep-11 11:54:38

They are very good. The downsides are:
- If you're very petite the straps will be too long (a common problem with buckle carriers)
- If you wear them on your front, you can't cross the straps over your back like many other buckle carriers, you have to wear it like a backwards rucksack which imo isn't as comfy. Love them for back carries though.

Upsides are - long lasting, fit for quite a while, well-made etc.

There are a lot of fakes about on ebay and the like - worth buying from a reputable supplier. If the price sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

omgidbi Fri 23-Sep-11 12:03:43

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

perfectstorm Tue 27-Sep-11 23:19:20

Ergos like most carriers IMO are very individual. I wanted a Manduca, but it didn't suit me at all. My mother is very petite and can't use my Ergo as the straps are too long. Given the price, I'd try a range out at a sling meet or go to a bricks and mortar shop like the Carrying Kind in London or Born in Bristol. A mistake here would be uncomfortable and expensive.

Don't buy Ergos second hand without a full receipt proving original purchase from a legit supplier. And anyone can sell on Amazon, as well as Ebay, and Ergos and Mobys are faked on an industrial scale. They're dangerous - the dyes can be toxic and the buckles on the Ergo can fail. It isn't worth the saving. I'd buy from a registered supplier, and then sell on with receipt when you're done with it (in fact it's what I intend to do, and did do with my hugabub though I don't think they're faked).

My ergo is wonderful. Gives my toddler a break from walking without the hassle of controlling him plus buggy on main roads/rough terrain.

perfectstorm Tue 27-Sep-11 23:37:01

omigidbi, Ergo don't list that company as an authorised retailer. Both companies I namechecked are there. While obviously that doesn't make them fakes on that basis, with the fake issue so key I think it's rather essential to buy with confidence, and the only way to be certain your sling is a legit one is to buy from an authorised supplier.

omgidbi Fri 07-Oct-11 13:07:00

Perfectstorm, I can assure you that Baby Bean is definitely an authorised retailer, she was one of the first businesses selling Ergo in the UK and founded the UK sling safety association so is absolutely not selling fakes!

She is listed on that Ergo link, but under 'Cowling' which is the name of her village, I've brought it to her attention so she can sort it out.

thefatladyscreams Fri 07-Oct-11 13:14:06

Another big fan here - happily using it daily for DS who is a year old. I struggled with it for the fist week or so (just adapting to a different style) but absolutely love it now.

I got mine from Baby Bean and would highly recommend them.

fuckityfuckfuckfuck Fri 07-Oct-11 13:18:29

I love my Ergo. I got it for ds at about 8 months, and cqan still carry him init now he's 3. Her adores his 'piggybacks' and it means I don't have to bother with a pushchair when I know he'll get tired. It's still in good nick to use when our new baby arrives too.
One thing though, and I'm sure someone who knows better will correct me if I'm wrong, is that a lot of the online stuff telling you how to spot a fake isn't actually all that accurate, particuarly if you're buying secondhand. A lot of the things they point out are genuine Ergo features, just a slightly older model. But yes, beware of anything too cheap.

usingapseudonym Fri 07-Oct-11 14:45:36

I love the ergo too! I didn't use a pushchair with my daughter until she was 2 and a bit and stopped wanting to go in it (sniff).

I used to use a moby/ kari me and made the tranisition fine. THe other good thing is that mu husband loved having her on his back in it as it felt a bit "manly" for him compared to the sling smile

perfectstorm Wed 12-Oct-11 15:10:48

omgidbi why don't you just admit that it's your shop? Why post endlessly on MN pretending to be a happy customer/good friend flogging the business? It's really dishonest of you. Nobody would mind if someone wanted to say hey, I have this small business, we have a great service at a great price, but you're blatantly lying about your own investment here to get yourself good promotion. That's not fair on other members, who may not twig that it's not a real experience from a buyer (I can link to posts where you have done that - in one case you slated another company and then waxed lyrical over how fantastic the service you got from this one was, so at least now you're claiming it is your "friend's" firm) and not honest at all. You are faking good feedback by doing this. Not only does that wriggle out of Mumsnet's advertising revenue (they're not exactly minted, either) it's cheating other posters. Not on.

perfectstorm Wed 12-Oct-11 15:23:57

Here you say, in a thread asking if another company is any good and in which other people all endorse them, "I tried to order an ergo backpack from Free Range Kids, but they contacted me a few days later to say it was out of stock in cranberry and would black be ok instead. I love my Ergo, it's really practical and comfy and just ace. I got mine from Baby-Bean.com and I think you can use the code SMILE for 10% off."

Here you say: "I have an Ergo and adore it. HolidaysQueen; I have a funky messenger style back with quite a long strap so it goes over the sling and sits underneath it at my hip, works very well, with a rucksack I just felt like a bit of a packhorse. I recently posted a 10% discount code for www.baby-bean.com and someone on here used to get an Ergo, can't be certain it'll still work, but worth a try if you're looking to get one. Will have a look and see if I can find the thread, as have deleted the email now."

Here you say: "I've just had a newsletter from Baby Bean letting me know there's 10% off Ergo Baby Carriers and the entire range of Ergo accessories at the moment." Then you bump to say, "just bumping this up as I've had another message via Facebook to say that the offer is ending today and she's only got a few left." Then you bump again when someone laments that the sale stock hasn't got what they want to say, "Might be worth an email to ask if she'd do it on back order for you, she's awfully nice."

It just goes on and on and on. In posts about brands people ask over, you turn the name of the ergo or moby or whatever into a hyperlink to your shop, again without admitting the link. Can you explain why all but 2 of your 68 posts seem to endorse this company and flog their products, if you're just a friend/on their mailing list? And why your story changes so much, post to post? Seriously, have you that level of contempt for poster intelligence? hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now