Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

q re: moby

(4 Posts)
reastie Wed 24-Aug-11 07:36:50

few qs re: moby wrap as I might be buying one from a fellow mner but want to check it is the right option for us. FYI DD is 6mo and about 15lbs

1 - I have a bad back. I currently have a wilkinet but struggle to carry her in it for any length of time - will the moby be more comfortable for my back?
2 - does it roll up quite small? It might be useful to have a carrier to permanently stick in the changing bag for impromptu usage
3 - does it fit the, ahem, large lady? I just saw a skinny minnie on you tube show how to use it with her tiny dd and there didn't seem to be alot of excess material. I am currently a size 20 blush btw
4 - is it too late to get one give my dd is 6mo and we have one of those snazzy rucksack hiking baby/child carriers and a wilkinet already? I'm wondering if it's more of a newborn thing

Quite alot of qs there blush but would appreciate any comments to help me decide.

Ilythia Wed 24-Aug-11 09:00:09

I did not get on with the wilkinet AT ALL but a stretchy wrap was much better. I have a slight curvature of the spine and my shoudler are not very strong, so a wider strap wrap was perfect as you can spread it out and stretch the load so it isn 't 'digging in'
I used to carry mine rolled up in the bottom of my bag, I used a small drawstring bag to keep it wrapped tight but yes, it squashes down really well.
3 I am/was size 20 and carried DD1 from a few months until she was 19 months and I gave birth to DD2, so a pregnant size 20...I needed a 5m wrap to do a full range of carries (where it crosses over the frotn and back) so make sure it is long enough.

4. WRT to timewise - The stretchy wraps do get a bit more uncomfy as they get bigger and I was better with a woven wrap once they were about 9-10 months BUT the resale value/swap value doesn't drop, so getting one for a few months won't cost you much at all. try uk babywearing swap group on yahoo, or babywearer.com for sales, I only kept each wrap for a few months before selling or swapping it for a new one!

reastie Wed 24-Aug-11 09:11:14

ilythia v useful info thanks. Re: the 5m wrap - are the regular ones 5m or did you have to get a special long one?

Ilythia Fri 26-Aug-11 22:39:57

I think the regular ones are 5.5 m with the tapering, afetr I stopped using my moby I got a woven wrap, and that was 5m which was plenty.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now