Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Is there a wrap sling/ring sling suitable for a toddler?

(5 Posts)
headfairy Mon 15-Aug-11 12:12:42

Dd is going through a clingy phase, she won't go in the pushchair without screaming blue murder, when she doesn't want to walk she wants to be carried. My back is killing me from constantly carrying her around (I'm sure it's just a phase, she's normally quite independent but she's been ill and is quite whingey and tired at the moment) so is there a ring sling or wrap sling which is suitable for an 18 month old that will take some of the strain from my arms and back? Would one of those hip seats help or is there something better?

QueenOfFeckingEverything Mon 15-Aug-11 12:17:48

A ring sling made from wrap fabric would be a good possibility - I have a girasol ring sling and I know people who carry their 3yo in one. Not cheap new but you can get them very reasonably if you buy secondhand from somewhere like Natural Mamas.

Or a woven wrap, though they are less good for quick upping and downing.

headfairy Mon 15-Aug-11 12:29:33

ah, thanks Queen, I thought that might be the problem. Of course she is up and down all the time, and I wanted something to take the strain off. I will have a look at those.

nellyjane Thu 18-Aug-11 22:23:25

I use Didymos woven wraps to carry DS (19 months) on my back. I've got a couple in different lengths - a size 5 for doing multi-layer carries if I know he'll be up there a while, and a size 3 for just chucking him on my back quickly if he's wingeing while I'm doing the dinner or just getting somewhere from the car.

It took a bit of practice, but now I've got the hang of it it's really comfortable and he doesn't feel heavy at all.

I second the Natural Mamas for getting them second hand, but the forum abbreviations take a bit of getting used to wink

wearymum200 Wed 31-Aug-11 20:58:22

I used a ring sling until DD2 was about 2.3 and then found it too much. I now have a hippychick which is just great, DD2 (now 2.9) can go up and down as much as she likes and arm is only needed for balance. beware though, if your DC still likes a nap, carrying a sleeping toddler on a hippychick is much more difficult (carried DD2 down a mountain in the alps like this!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now