Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. To find out which products have won Mumsnet Best, go to Reviews. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

can anyone suggest a sling for 12 month old who loves slings but obv. getting bigger ?

(8 Posts)
mooshy1970 Sat 23-Jul-11 13:02:55

I loved the peanut and then the ring sling-but its starting to pull on my neck now.
DD absolutely loves her sling and is about 20 lbs now.
I suppose i can carry on with the peanut but just wondered if there is anything more back / neck friendly where i can still keep her snuggled close to me ?
Thanks x

RitaMorgan Sat 23-Jul-11 13:06:33

I use a ring sling just for short trips to the shop - anything longer and have to have ds on my back. I have a Beco Butterfly.

1gglePiggle Sat 23-Jul-11 13:09:11

I had the baby bjorn one that sits on hips but depending on childs weight will only be ok for about 6 months or short trips. Loved it though, so comfy. Couldn't get to grips with all the folding and hoops of the fabric slings!

Loopymumsy Sun 24-Jul-11 08:11:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SkipToTheEnd Sun 24-Jul-11 08:17:49

I second the sling guide - it's a great site. You can also see lots of videos on youtube showing different styles and how-to guides.

My DS is 2.4 and 22 lbs and I wear him on my back with a mei tie carrier. You could still carry her on your front depending on her length I just find DS to long for that now.

I've got friends who swear by their Ergo but I've never tried one.

Also, google to see if there is a sling library near you. You can go and have a play to try them out grin

hazeybabes Sun 24-Jul-11 08:42:32

I use a ring sling for shorter trips where I want to chat to DS3 as I walk. For longer trips (e.g. hill walking with my dog) I love my patapum. It's a soft sling so he can cuddle into my back. You can also bring it round to the front if necessary although I don't find that as comfortable. I used it to carry DS2 in the patapum until he was nearly 3 and I was 5 months pregnant. I've even used it is for a day of tree-planting on the moors - obviously not something you can do easily with a ring sling!

pootlebug Sun 24-Jul-11 10:31:02

The toddler Patapum is good from about 9 months+ and not too pricey. It's comfiest for back carries although can be used on the front too.

MysteriousHamster Tue 26-Jul-11 22:26:21

My son is 12 months and I have just started using an Olives and Applesauce buckle carrier. I also have a couple of mei tais I like - a Front Back and Sides one and an Ocah Wrap Conversion that I bought second-hand.

We're pretty much at an age when the babies are moving up a size from some of the more baby-oriented slings so you might find what works for you by trial and error. Natural Mamas is a good forum to read more about them.

If you like a ring sling, perhaps woven wraps would be good for you? (personally I am more of a mei tai gal).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: