Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

unsure about use of stretchy wrap for my newborn

(10 Posts)
elseIlltellyourfather Sun 10-Jul-11 11:11:07

Is anyone able to reassure me? I bought a cheap, home made one to see hwo we got on befor einvesting in somethign like a Moby, so don't have the benefit of the full instructions. I have managed to get what i need from the net though. I am struggling to make sure his chin stays off his cheast, which I understand is essential, and am also not sure of the best carrying position; upright on chest, or laid in cradle hold? I also saw the kangaroo hold whcih looks really simple but is it secure? I wish i had someone here to help me, I really want to use it but am a bit paranoid!

puddock Sun 10-Jul-11 11:15:36

IME upright carries are far better for positioning, my 2 never got on with cradle holds and it's harder to keep them in optimum position that way. The Moby website (mobywrap.com I think) has lots of instruction videos etc. Have a look at www.slingguide.co.uk for more, and maybe try to get some RL help at a sling meet? (www.slingmeet.co.uk)
You can get a tried-and-tested sling like a moby or kari-me for about £20 (try www.slingguide.co.uk for sources) second hand. THis mght be best if you think the homemade cheapie is a bit iffy.
Best of luck smile

PirateDinosaur Sun 10-Jul-11 11:18:16

I've always done upright on chest carries with a newborn in a wrap; again, mine never got on with cradle carries.

Whereabouts are you in the country?

Loopymumsy Sun 10-Jul-11 13:57:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

elseIlltellyourfather Mon 11-Jul-11 21:25:25

Thanks all, sorry for my absence, getting used to having 2 children!

All very helpful. I tried the kangaroo hold again today but he seems to slip down and also to just constantly try and feed (even when he has just been fed), butting his face against me and getting frustrated! I wonder if it is too stretchy or I am doing it too loosely. Will try a sling meet, thansk again.

elseIlltellyourfather Mon 11-Jul-11 21:25:45

I am Winchester, Hampshire btw

RitaMorgan Mon 11-Jul-11 21:28:29

You do have to have it on tight - don't leave a space for the baby, the stretch of the fabric will make space.

PirateDinosaur Mon 11-Jul-11 21:47:05

Yes, tie it as tightly as you can and then squeeze the baby in. And (in an upright carry) you want the baby quite high -- you should be able to kiss the top of his head easily. You don't want him to dangle.

thesurgeonsmate Tue 19-Jul-11 11:52:19

Another vote for upright carry.

fraktious Tue 19-Jul-11 16:19:17

Rather than the kangaroo hold have the bit which goes acrods your middle in the outside. So you tie the sling, then sit the baby in the cross and spread them out so he's high enough, then pull the belt type bit up to pull him in close.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now