Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Beco Butterfly or Gemini

(7 Posts)
CaringForPod Sat 09-Jul-11 09:03:21

Hello,

My baby bjorn is killing my back and looking to invest in a new carrier that's comfier. I've read good things about Beco, but would like some feedback about the different models. Does anyone use either the Gemini or Butterfly? I like the fact that the baby can face outwards in the Gemini but the Butterfly has a longer time span, in that it carries up to 45lb. Which is comfier to wear, in your opinion?

I have a Moby, but find it far too fiddly to put on when baby is having a hissy fit and just needs to be carried!

Thanks in advance :-)

Erac Sat 09-Jul-11 12:20:30

I have a Butterfly, which I quite like. The thing I like best about it is it has this insert that kind of keeps the baby contained and makes it feel safer to move her to my back or even move her over to my husband to carry.

I've never tried the Gemini as front facing wasn't for me.

You can hire either one on Slumber Roo's website. Or of course, see if you can get to a slingmeetup.

Also there are several comparison videos on Youtube that can help you make an informed choice.

HTH.

Yeni Sat 09-Jul-11 12:42:53

I have the Beco Butterfly and find it incredibly comfortable. DS is around 36lbs and I can easily carry him for hours in it (he CAN walk but but I go hillwalking and 15+ miles is just too much for him!).

I have not tried the Gemini but I have heard it is very good. I think the front facing out option is a bit misleading, because it really isn't a comfortable option for the parent, and Beco themselves suggest it is used only for a short time. I think they have introduced this option to meet demand from customers who might otherwise have bought the Bjorn. We used FFO with our first child when we only had the Bjorn, but once we moved onto better carriers it never occurred to us to use the FFO position because it simply isn't needed. Most babies will be perfectly happy to face the parent, either in a front carry or a back carry. By all means get the Gemini if you find it to be the best option for you but don't be swayed by an option that you might not use as much as you think.

CaringForPod Sat 09-Jul-11 14:53:22

Thanks Erac and Yeni. Sounds like the butterfly is the way to go. Is it easy to get it onto your back? I get easily flummoxed so need something pretty simple!

The front-facing option isn't essential, just thought the baby might prefer it, be able to see what's going on out there.

And it looks pretty :-)

Loopymumsy Sat 09-Jul-11 16:40:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Yeni Sat 09-Jul-11 19:25:34

Yes, it is very easy to get the Butterfly on. I usually clipped him into it and put him on a sofa, or the car seat, then sat down and pulled the shoulder straps up until I felt confident to swing him on like a backpack.

Erac Tue 12-Jul-11 21:01:50

Agree with what Yeni said.

This woman has some helpful videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZyDgIncUeM&feature=related

So the other key thing is to figure out how the buckles and adjusters work as much as possible BEFORE putting baby in. There are some safety features so it's not quite as simple as a normal backpack would be.

Once you have it adjusted for the baby and you, you should get into a rhythm of putting it on quite easily.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now