Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

carrier vs pushchair - or both?

(4 Posts)
mpops Thu 07-Jul-11 11:39:26

Hello!

Our first DC is due in October and we're trying to figure out what to do with regards to transporting her around. We don't have a car and we live in London, so it'll be a combination of walking/bus/train/tube.

We are thinking of getting a Maclaren Techno XT but I'm a bit dubious of its suitability for a newborn. Enter the carrier: are they better for newborns? I wouldn't be comfortable with the proper wrap ones because I'd like my DH to use it too and he doesn't like them. So something like an Ergo/Mei Tai/Kari Me is what we're looking for.

What do you think? Start with a carrier (which one?) and move to a pushchair after a few months? Or get both and see what suits us best?

Thanks for your help.

Loopymumsy Thu 07-Jul-11 13:25:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Yeni Thu 07-Jul-11 13:27:27

Some people manage without a buggy, but I used both. If you have a good carrier you will probably be able to get away with a compact buggy for babies over 6 months which will be a lot cheaper and lighter than one intended for newborns. The only real limitations with slings are that you will still have to carry a nappy bag, although that needn't be huge if you are breastfeeding, and that if you want to go for coffee you haven't got anywhere to put the baby other than right underneath the hot coffee.

Start with a sling and only get the buggy when or if you feel you need it. You might find that you don't need one at all, especially if you are on and off the tube all day.

mpops Thu 07-Jul-11 14:48:46

Thanks so much. We might do just that, try a carrier and see if we need a buggy. Now to try out the different carriers and see what suits us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now