Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

I give up with attempting a back carry on my Connecta

(26 Posts)
Paschaelina Thu 07-Jul-11 11:02:16

After many weeks of trying, I just can't get the hang of getting the Boy into it at all.

Can anyone recommend a carrier that you put a child into before you put it on your back?

PirateDinosaur Thu 07-Jul-11 11:04:44

There are the more hiking-oriented ones -- the Macpac range is good IME.

I didn't even know you were supposed to be able to do a back carry in a Connecta... blush; have only ever used mine for front carries and <gives it appraising stare> wouldn't fancy trying a back carry with it.

Paschaelina Thu 07-Jul-11 11:30:07

Oh it's doable, there's info online and YouTube demos for them and other mei tai types. They all just seem to sling said baby over their head or one shoulder, grab the legs to wrap around the back and fling the body of the carrier over. They all seem to have pretty amenable children, I spose theyre used to it. My son just wriggles too much. Once he's in it's fine and comfy, but just such a bastard to get there.

Loopymumsy Thu 07-Jul-11 13:14:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Paschaelina Thu 07-Jul-11 17:05:12

Hmm the butterfly is nice but shock at the price! No listed local slingmeets so will start a thread in my area I think. I would like to keep the connecta but if I can't make it work for me then it will have to go I think...

sleeplessinderbyshire Mon 11-Jul-11 21:57:49

you can fasten it round your waist sitting on the floor then sit baby on the carrier and pull straps up over shouilders. Even easier to reverse to take baby out. I've done it loads - dead easy

Paschaelina Mon 11-Jul-11 22:15:57

haha if only my baby monkey would sit still long enough hmm. He's just discovered crawling - I have no chance sad...

Paschaelina Tue 12-Jul-11 17:38:08

Ok well I have had some help and it's been on and off a few times but my god it is murderous to wear! The pulling the neck and shoulders is hideous, there is no way on this earth I can do it Cormier than a minute or two.

I am reconciled to wearing him on my front til he's too big and then he can bloody well walk.

Paschaelina Tue 12-Jul-11 17:39:30

Pulling on the neck

Cormier = for more

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 12-Jul-11 17:42:59

there are slings other than the connecta. :-) have a look at the natural mamas forum.

I really struggled with putting DD on my back in a similar carrier. A week on and i've sort of got the hang of it.s

I put her on my hip and then lean forward at the same time passing her under my arm - its a bit gymnastic the first few times. She kind of ends up in a piggyback and from there it is easier...

Paschaelina Tue 12-Jul-11 18:14:45

Yeah I will have to try a few. Its a bugger, not only can I not get it on easily, i can't take my sons weight in it. Don't know what type to try now.

Loopymumsy Tue 12-Jul-11 20:32:40

Paschaelina Tue 12-Jul-11 20:36:56

Thanks for that Loopymumsy, will check out that group tomorrow. grin

littlenuttree Tue 12-Jul-11 20:47:50

I just mastered this a week or so ago! I put the carrier on first, then started with DD2 (5mths) on my right hip, then lifted my right arm whilst pushing her round to my back with my left hand until she was on my back. Then with one arm still on her I put my other arm through the first strap (already buckled) before doing the same with the other. I practised over the bed first, although I was still a bit worried about dropping her!

I still can't do back carries with a wrap though. sad

littlenuttree Tue 12-Jul-11 20:54:07

This is exactly how I do it!

Loopymumsy Tue 12-Jul-11 21:01:38

Paschaelina Tue 12-Jul-11 21:27:55

Whats with all these children who sit patiently on mummy's back while she wraps or ties or clicks eh? envy

Mine 10 month old bundle of joy fidgets, twists, leans back and giggles within about 0.005 seconds of arriving on my back, long before I can get my arms sorted.

Littlenuttree I am in awe of everyone who masters it without superglueing their baby to the carrier!

littlenuttree Tue 12-Jul-11 22:02:40

grin Paschaelina. I forgot to put in the bit about using half a roll of sellotape to keep DD2 on my back!

Thanks for that link Loopymumsy, might have a go tomorrow using the other half of the sellotape roll!

Paschaelina Tue 12-Jul-11 22:21:58

grin of course, the fact that his daddy puts him in a similar position to play Horsey might have a small bearing...

Loopymumsy Wed 13-Jul-11 06:29:44

fraktious Wed 13-Jul-11 06:33:54

My DS is a wriggler for back wraps too! It seems to be a fairly common problem if that makes you feel any better grin

Paschaelina Thu 14-Jul-11 20:45:08

grin Frak, I am nowhere near dextrous enough to work a wrap.

Paschaelina Fri 15-Jul-11 12:18:22

Well i've hired a Butterfly Duo from Slumber-Roo for a couple of weeks. Will see when it arrives whether its worth buying or not.

If its good it looks like I can move my Connecta on quite easily on ukbabywearingswap so its all good.

RitaMorgan Fri 15-Jul-11 12:22:36

I had the same problem with a R&R - sold it and bought a Beco instead. I tend to put ds in it on my front, and then depending on where we are either heave it round to my back or sit him on a sofa/chair and then get it on.

Paschaelina Fri 15-Jul-11 12:45:19

Thats my plan, Rita. No more contortions needing six hands for me thankyouverymuch. grin Do you find the Beco good? Which have you got?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now