Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Something similiar to Ergo but where LO can face out?

(8 Posts)
yawningbear Wed 06-Jul-11 16:42:42

DS is nearly 5 months and is a chubba bubba. I am using bjorn carrier just now which he loves but it is killing my back. I have an Ergo that I used with DD for ages and I love it, places LO's weight mainly on hips not back so fab for me and DD was also very happy in it but DS much prefers to face out. So bascially I need something with similar design to Ergo to lessen backache but where DS can still coo at all and sundry - any suggestions? TIA

Geordieminx Wed 06-Jul-11 17:28:04

Mai tai is fab!

Scaredycat3000 Wed 06-Jul-11 20:20:17

There is some debate as to how good it is for a babies back to be carried facing out so very few carriers recommend this position. From 6 months you can carry your baby on your back, in your ergo or most carriers, and they can see everything then. You just need to practice putting them on your back until you are confident and can use a small mirror to see them.

beamel Thu 07-Jul-11 08:49:25

The problem with the facing out position is that the baby sort of dangles on its crotch rather than being properly seated (with knee to knee support as in the Ergo), as well as the concerns about hip/spine development. Also, the facing out position is more uncomfortable for the wearer as the weight of the baby is pulling away from your centre of gravity, so could become more uncomfortable anyway as your LO gets older. Would back carrying be an option for you as scaredy suggests ? Then LO can see the world but still be comfortable and correctly supported.
If you really want a proper carrier which will face out then the Beco Gemini has this option, although they do recommend it only for short periods.
Good luck !

yawningbear Thu 07-Jul-11 09:30:17

Thankyou! I did google it after I had posted and found the Gemini but I think I will give the Ergo another try today. DS just hasn't been happy in it up until now but has been exceptionally happy in the bjorn which I hate and I know it is better for them to face in. DD loved the Ergo so I thought DS would too but he hasn't taken to it. He has quite stiff hips and I think the position it places him is uncomfortable for him. I will try again and if, when he is slightly older, I could get the hang of putting him on my back in the Ergo that would be the best possible solution. I never managed that with DD though, it always felt as if I was going to drop her but will give it a go. Thanks again.

RollingInTheAisles Thu 07-Jul-11 09:32:25

Have you tried the ergo hip position for a half way house? Otherwise mei tais are good all rounders or a mei tai with a buckled waist if you prefer that.

yawningbear Thu 07-Jul-11 23:00:10

Thankyou Rolling, I am really not sure why I did not think of that myself!confused I will dig out the instructions and give it a go, he could maybe even go in hip ways now.

lifeistooshort Thu 07-Jul-11 23:02:36

I have got a catbird picolo and it is great

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now