Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. To find out which products have won Mumsnet Best, go to Reviews. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Please help me find a sling!

(4 Posts)
MrsLukeDanes Wed 08-Jun-11 21:31:08

I really struggled with a sling with my DC1, I am quite short and have a large chest blush and I couldn't get to grips with it. I am now pregnant with DC2 and DC1 will be just 2, so I think that a sling would be perfect for me to be hands free and still help DC1. Are there any styles that might suit me? I've read a lot about the Moby and BabaSling - would they be any good?
Thanks in advance!

mumnerves Wed 08-Jun-11 22:34:35

I'm a H cup and found my mei Tai was comfortable and have used it since DS was born. I wore it a bit lower down so more weight was distributed along my back rather than shoulders, as if you're like me your shoulders have been carrying more than enough weight all these years!
BTW congrats! smile

CosmicMouse Thu 09-Jun-11 11:33:25

Moby or any other stretchy wrap would be great for a newborn. Generally good up until about 15-20lbs or so, at which point you'll need to switch to something more supportive.

A woven wrap is similar to a Moby, but you wrap around the baby rather than doing all the wrapping beforehand. Bit of a steeper learning curve, but more supportive from the get go and will last you a lot longer.

I'd steer clear of the Babasling. All the weight through 1 shoulder, and they are a cow to adjust. If you want something 1 shouldered, go for a Ring Sling instead.

Other 2 shouldered options are SSC's (Soft Structured Carriers) and Mei-Tai's as the PP suggested.

www.slingguide.co.uk is a good website that compares all the different types. Or check www.slingmeet.co.uk and see if there is a meeting nearby where you can get some hands on advice.

MrsLukeDanes Thu 09-Jun-11 12:58:54

Oooo, thank you. Have never heard of Mei-Tei so will investigate that now. And I didn't realise that there are such things as sling meet ups! What a fab idea! I'll have a look and hopefully there'll be one near me.
Many thanks to both of you!! grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: