Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Baby Bjorn - rain cover?

(11 Posts)
alitesneeze Sat 04-Jun-11 15:32:44

The cover is quite expensive and I was wondering, do any other brands fit over it? Any suggestions? Thanks grin

BertieBotts Sat 04-Jun-11 15:38:38

An umbrella? smile

alitesneeze Sat 04-Jun-11 16:06:38

I should add that one hand is needed for a buggy (or toddler walking) and I live in scotland where it pours every day!

Thought it would be good to be able to use th carrier on a rainy day too (easier for he bus etc) but the pram is fine too smile

BertieBotts Sat 04-Jun-11 16:10:54

Oh of course, sorry! Would getting an extra big raincoat work, to put round both of you? That's what I used to do if I needed hands free. You might need a baby who tolerates a rain hat though.

alitesneeze Sat 04-Jun-11 19:23:04

Was also typing one handed so didnt mention that we use the carrier for walking at the weekend (I cant stress enough how much it rains here!)

Think I will buy a cagoule for both of us. Thanks for your help bertie. I should prob think things through properly before posting! Too much time on my hands grin

mousymouse Sat 04-Jun-11 19:24:24

get a "proper" carrier and a baby-wearer coat?

Yeni Sat 04-Jun-11 20:10:27

A wilkinet cover will fit up to about 6 months. After that a waterproof all in one suit works well for the baby, with a separate fleece all in one underneath for cold weather. A sou'wester is handy too.

alitesneeze Sun 05-Jun-11 13:14:30

mousy wow I didnt know they exsisted, I have never seen anyone wearing one. Just googled them though and they are waaay out of my budget.

yeni I'm now watching a wilkinet cover on ebay so fingers crossed for a bargain!

SoapyG Fri 08-Jul-11 07:54:27

I got the babybjorn cover on ebay for much cheapness and it worked really well during the Jan to April in Scotland for those glorious and all too frequent sideways torrential rain/snow/sleet/hail days! Unfortunately as soon as he could, DS wanted to be front facing so he could see what was going on, so we had to take the hood bit off. So you then need a hat/brolly to protect his face so we found that a hooded and footed snowsuit or fleecy suit worked best, preferably with those foldy sleeve things so you don't have to worry about mittens. So depends on the time of year for the Baby Bjorn cover and how old the wee one is.
We also bought a lightweight waterproof all in one for the summer - big mistake, far too sweaty when in a sling for all concerned! Cheap brolly in the changing bag has sorted us every time so far.
Big coat round everyone is ok but the bit around your neck gets very cold and the front hem rides up so a bit breezy for you if it's a horrible day.
Have walked up far fewer hills than intended : ( - seriously underestimated how long an inquisitive small one will stay in a sling once the nap is finished! But still much prefer the sling to a buggy for anything that's not around town.
HTH

squaLLANDBonfire Sat 23-Jul-11 00:00:35

Not sure how much the Babybjorn one costs, but;

We love our Ergo weather cover - soft floppy hood and bigger fit than the Wilkinet cover. Though the description confuses me, as we got a blue polyester waterproof soft shell on a light fleece cranberry liner (can't detach). So far we've only had rain when it's been cold but it would be a bit of a drag in a tropical downpour!

The Wilkiinet cover is less waterproof and is cotton-lined so good for summer, but I would say is only good for smaller babies.

Another I have wondered about but never tried is the Suze's Kinder baby rain cover

And I have been known to thread the straps of the carrier through the sleeves of a toddler-sized raincoat before putting the sling on smile

CarolGinger Thu 22-Sep-11 16:37:55

I've been using just a raincoat that's a bit roomy and a big rain hat of my husband's. Outdoor Research makes these really wide brim rain sombreros that completely shield my baby's head. Downside: I look like I'm impersonating an Australian cowboy in that hat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now