Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. To find out which products have won Mumsnet Best, go to Reviews. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Patapum, Ergo, Babyhawk, Scootababy or Beco Gemini?

(8 Posts)
OvertiredAndShowingOff Wed 29-Dec-10 17:30:28

Alright slingers, your opinions please!

Definitely want a SSC, DD is 6 months, tall and super porky. Don't like the sporty look of the Manduca and not too keen on the more lentil-weaving designs! grin

DD isn't too keen on facing in whilst being on my front in the Close carrier that we have. Don't know whether she feels restricted or can't see enough. Hopefully she'll enjoy a back carry in her new sling! smile

Justalittlereindeer Thu 06-Jan-11 14:45:37

Do you know if you've got a Slingmeet nearby?

Slings are a very personal thing, and what suits one parent/baby combo may not suit another.

Of the brands you've listed the Patapum, Ergo and Beco are all Soft Structured Carriers with buckles. A Babyhawk is a Mei Tai, which has long straps you tie around yourself. A Scootababy is just for hip carries I think.

So I'd decide first of all if you want buckles or ties. Buckles are quicker, but I've always found ties more comfortable personally.

They are all decent brands, it's just going to come down to personal preference. Which is why slingmeets are handy as you can try before you buy.

hogsback Thu 06-Jan-11 14:55:16

I just saw the subject line and assumed this was a baby names thread blush

OvertiredAndShowingOff Thu 06-Jan-11 15:57:50

Babyhawk would be a FAB name!

No slingmeet near me I'm afraid. I think I'm heading towards buckles, rather than tying, and I think I've narrowed it down to Beco Butterfly 2, Beco Gemini or Patapum. Phew. Any opinions on these gratefully received. I have a 6 month old big baby, I'm average height with big shoulders.

I've been using a Close carrier, but have to keep retying it as the fabric stretches.

Thanks for your help!

Justalittlereindeer Thu 06-Jan-11 16:09:19

Out of those 3, I'd probably go for the Beco Butterfly. The Gemini has a narrow seat I think, which isn't a good thing. Some people I know love the Patapum, but others find it uncomfy.

I can understand about the Close carrier, my Moby did that once DD got to about 16lbs!

I use woven wraps now, so I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to SSC's. The Natural Mama's forum is a treasure trove of sling information, so it might be worth asking for some advice on there too. Depending on where you are there might even be some Babywearers nearby!

OvertiredAndShowingOff Thu 06-Jan-11 16:22:08

Thanks Reindeer.

Will check out Natural Mamas and go on the hunt for local baby wearers, although judging by the stares I get I think there aren't many of us here! (Perhaps it's because the Close with a coat over the top makes me look like I'm very fat with one enormous hairy breast. grin)

Justalittlereindeer Thu 06-Jan-11 16:30:31

There are more about than you think! I thought there was no-one else round here, but it turns out there are a few...enough for me to start a slingmeet anyway!

I've just spotted that there is a bargain Patapum for sale on there - £25 I think...so it might be worth some more research...?

timetosmile Sat 15-Jan-11 22:54:07

still looking?
ds2 went everywhere in baby patapum, and then in the toddler size one later. He loved it, just like a hands-free piggyback.
I loved it, really comfy and easy to adjust (just like a rucksac really wink) between me and DH, washable, squishes nicely into wierd spaces in the boot when packing for holidays and rolls up nicely around the waist so no dilemmas about whether or not to take it ( and also keeps back warm on chilly hikes...how middle aged is that?!)
lots of places do them mail order so you can try it for a few days then send it back if it doesn't suit

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: