Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Walking 2 dogs with heavy DS

(7 Posts)
bluesmile10 Tue 23-Nov-10 20:49:36

We have 2 very boisterous spaniels who need walks and a very good long run every day. I have managed this ok when the weather wasnt too bad putting DS in a baby carrier on my front. However he now weighs over 20lbs and what with his coat and mine it is becoming increasingly difficult to manage. I always drive the dogs to some fields but DS cant fit in his car seat with coat on, so it has to be put on there, not really practical in this cold weather!!! Does anyone have any good ideas on how I can do this or product that may be useful!!!!!

togarama Wed 24-Nov-10 13:43:15

Hi Blue

I'm a bit confused about whether you're looking for a carrier, a carseat or a coat. What carrier are you using at the moment?

There's lots of good front/back carriers out there (Ergo, Patapum etc..) which others recommend highly and buckle or tie on v. quickly.

I prefer long woven wraps for comfort but they do tend to trail on the ground and get muddy in wet weather when I'm doing back carries (so not ideal unless you're more dextrous than me...).

There's also coats which are designed for parents carrying babies. I've never used one but hopefully someone who has will come along and recommend something.

For long walks in cold weather I normally either just wrap DD in her coat over the top of my coat or put her on my front and zip a big coat over both of us. She's 21 months and around 26lb.

BangingNoise Wed 24-Nov-10 13:45:41

He really can't fit in the carseat with a coat on?

I got myself a mam coat back when ds was small enough to be carried.
I used the Ergo carrier, he was in a normal coat (not a great big snowsuit or anything like that) and my coat then went round him too.
Can you not adjust the carseat straps so they go on even when he's wearing his coat?

When he got too heavy for being carried, I took the bugaboo chameleon, with snow tyres for the winter - also fab for going through very, very muddly fields. He was then all wrapped up in there with his foot muff etc. But I didn't have to go in the car first, so not sure that would really help you.

bluesmile10 Thu 25-Nov-10 21:12:37

Thanks for your messages. In reply to bangingnoise, no he doesnt fit in his car seat with his coat on - well squeezes in, but cant move at all!!!!

thisisyesterday Thu 25-Nov-10 21:15:53

you shouldn't have a coat on in a car seat anyway. they can compress under pressure and that would mean the straps would be very loose and possibly not contain him

i put mine in the car without coats, put a blanket over them. then put coat on when we get where we're going.

surely this is an issue wherever you go, not just when you are taking the dogs for a walk???

ShittyBangBang Thu 25-Nov-10 21:47:54

Get a bigger seat???

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now