Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for discussing slings and backpacks. If you want to buy or sell slings and backpacks, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Help, i'm so worried about my baby's breathing in the wrap!

(13 Posts)
mammainlove Mon 19-Jul-10 22:24:26

Hi all, I'm new to here. My baby is 4 weeks old, she's over 12lbs already and very long! I had to have an emergency cesarian, i've not been able to carry her until now, and have been anxious since her birth. I'm trying out different wraps, and my favourites so far are the Moby wrap and Mei tai. She falls asleep in them straight away, which is great! However i just cant help feeling guilty that i'm restricting her,'controlling' her to sleep. How long should they be squashed up in there? My main concern is if she's breathing alright, i cant stop checking her and worrying! Her head naturally falls face towards the top of my chest, which leaves a small space for her mouth and nose. If i try to move her head to the side, she has very strong head control and just puts it back again. Do babies automatically cry or sort themselves out if they cant breath? Any advice/support appreciated. Thank you xxx

loopyloops Mon 19-Jul-10 22:28:00

Honestly, don't worry, you're doing fine. If there is space for her to breathe, and she is strong enough to pull back, she will do that. Moby wrap is fantastic. Try it perhaps in a slightly different position and you might feel more comfortable, they are very flexible. You are not restricting ehr at all, it is the most natural thing to wrap her up close to your body.
Well done!

Flamesparrow Mon 19-Jul-10 22:30:31

She spent the last 9 months curled up close to you, feeling you breathe, hearing your heartbeat.

She falls asleep not because you are controlling her or restricting her, but because it is the most natural feeling in the world to her.

scaussie Mon 19-Jul-10 23:05:54

My DD had very strong neck muscles too (we never had to support her head) and she did exactly as you are describing in her wilkinet.

What you prob are not seeing is that when she is pressed against you, the nose squashes a bit and air is getting in and out through a small gap in the side of the nostrils.
I had to ask my hcv how my dd could breathe when breastfeeding when she looked like she was smothering herself...think its the same principal in the wrap.

They just like to keep us on our toes lol

mammainlove Tue 20-Jul-10 00:00:41

Aww thank you all. I feel bit more reassured now. I've just put her in it tonight, when she's wide awake as she is every night and she got frustated and started banging her head back and forth on my chest. I think it's because she couldn't see out of it much and often needs visual stimulation. I guess this means i cant put her in it unless she's tired..?

loopyloops Tue 20-Jul-10 09:22:48

Sounds like she wants milk to me.

Flamesparrow Tue 20-Jul-10 09:30:38

Yup, DD2 does that when she wants feeding

mammainlove Tue 20-Jul-10 11:15:28

Hmm, maybe..thank you. By the way, what does DD, DH and DD2 mean? X

Flamesparrow Tue 20-Jul-10 11:20:46

Ah yes - Dear/darling (bleurgh) husband, daughter, 1/2/3 is daughter 1, 2, 3 etc

puddock Tue 20-Jul-10 11:22:09

Dear/darling Daughter / Husband / 2nd daughter.
Agree with other posters - visual stimulation is not likely to be what she's after.
Moby wrap is great.
Have you seen the TICKS safety checklist? This, and maybe the www.slingguide.co.uk site, might give you some reassurance.
I remember feeling like you, I used to wet my little finger and put it under DS's nose so that I could feel his breath

BosomsByTheSea Tue 20-Jul-10 11:22:41

DD = Dear (or Darling) Daughter
DH Dear Husband
DD2 - Dear Daughter 2 (or 3,4 etc)

Also:
DS = Dear Son
DSD/S Dear Step Daughter / son
Dts + twins

DBil/ DSil Brother in law/sister in law
Etc etc you get the idea!

Congrats by the way! My Dts also did headbanging when they wanted milk! smile

puddock Tue 20-Jul-10 11:24:36

TICKS link

mammainlove Wed 21-Jul-10 12:37:25

Thank you so much, very useful xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now