Talk

Advanced search

Can you drink wine and still lose weight?

(6 Posts)
ElleDriver Sat 07-Sep-19 07:28:05

One of the main things I'm struggling with on SW is giving up wine. I was shocked to learn that a bottle of wine has nearly 1000 calories! I was drinking too much so this is a good reason to cut back for my general health as well as weight loss. But when the weekend rolls around and I've been working all week a bottle of wine or two over the weekend is something I really enjoy. Often with a takeaway!

If I cut out during the week and just let myself off on a Saturday say, can I still expect a loss or will it just not work like that given all the calories?

I know there are lower calorie options like spirits and tonic but I just don't like them as much.

thepinkp Sat 07-Sep-19 08:56:14

I cut back the wine intake but haven't completely stopped! I have consistently lost 1.5/2lb a week and I'm 8.5lb off target. Like everything in life 'in moderation' so I don't see why you can't relax a little and enjoy a couple of glasses at the weekend.

ElleDriver Sat 07-Sep-19 10:58:01

That's good to know. I can't actually believe how calorific wine is but I really don't want to give it up altogether

canyon2000 Sat 07-Sep-19 14:32:30

I think half a bottle of wine is 13/14 syns so within your daily limit.

peachypetite Sat 07-Sep-19 14:34:25

Just have a glass and really savour it. Like you said it’s very high in calories

iamyourequal Sun 08-Sep-19 20:04:29

@*ElleDriver...I was shocked to learn that a bottle of wine has nearly 1000 calories! *

Good news for you, a bottle of ordinary wine is 600-650 calories. Not sure what your 1000calorie source is, perhaps a site with an agenda to stop you drinking it!!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »