Talk

Advanced search

Struggling with snacks

(17 Posts)
choosingchilli Sun 24-Mar-19 10:12:17

Joined slimming world online a few weeks ago and I'm making very little progress.

I've got my head around healthy extras and free foods but snacking is an issue for me.

I normally have a nakd bar mid morning and a couple of digestives with an afternoon cup of tea and even though I'm trying to fill up on free foods as alternatives I'm still really craving them.

Any snack tips/suggestions?

FrederickCreeding Sun 24-Mar-19 10:19:24

Probably not what you want to hear, but how about going cold turkey on snacks altogether? I've recently done this ( I used to eat far too many snacks - mainly biscuits blush) and since giving them up I do feel much better. The first week was really tough, but I've got used to it now and don't miss the sweet stuff nearly as much. The cravings are now gone.

choosingchilli Sun 24-Mar-19 20:20:47

Sadly I think you might be right 😬

onemorerose Sun 24-Mar-19 20:25:09

Cold turkey definitely. If you still miss them after 10 days then have one biscuit a day

Inaquandry06 Sun 24-Mar-19 20:33:20

I don’t do slimming world myself but I know someone that does and she saves all her ‘syns’ and snacks for the evening, she usually has a little plate with some fruit on (strawberries, grapes etc) and then a yoghurt or a little fun size choc bar

Ricekrispie22 Mon 25-Mar-19 07:12:12

Frozen grapes –these are yummy and because they are frozen will take you longer to eat too. I wash them well, blot dry with some kitchen paper and then pop them in a freezer bag and add to the freezer. I prefer the red seedless variety, as I just find they taste better, but the choice is yours.
Jelly Babies - they’re one syn each and like grapes, they’re amazing frozen!
Edamame Beans – these are my new current favourite. I buy these in big steamer bags from costco throw in the microwave as directed, pop the beans out of the pods and either season with just salt or toss in some coconut aminos or soy sauce. They are sooo good.
HEB cheesecake – crumble up a HEb qualifying cereal bar, top with some quark sweetened with your choice of sweetener and a little vanilla or use a syn free yoghurt, then top with fruit for a yummy syn free cheesecake.
Fat free natural yogurt is still free, and it’s easy to add flavour with fruit, flavourings and some sugar free syrups. Muller Light have now added a Natural, fat free yogurt to their range in individual 165g pots.
The Go Ahead range is great for snacking. As long as you know how many syns are in the snack you’ve chosen.The new apricot & hazelnut fruit and nut breaks are 4.5 syns.
If you’re looking to satisfy your sweet cravings, jelly is one of your best bets.
Hartley’s 10 calorie jellies are just 0.5 Syns each and there’s a good variety of tasty flavours, from key lime pie to lemon cheesecake.

choosingchilli Mon 25-Mar-19 22:03:35

Thank you rice some great ideas- I've managed a snack free day today but I'm definitely going to give your suggestions a try, I really like the idea of frozen grapes and the jelly.

OwlinaTree Tue 26-Mar-19 22:16:00

Frozen grapes sound like a choking hazard! Cut them up first!

Groovee Wed 27-Mar-19 07:14:05

@OwlinaTree I find it depends on how much your freezer freezes things. My garage one needs time to defrost to be able to bite through but my mum's freezer. I can easily bite through straight from the freezer and sook. But I do eat ice too 😳

Ohyesiam Wed 27-Mar-19 07:17:22

Don’t do sugar at all, it’s what I’m doing. For me a little leads to more, or craving more.
I snack on Linda McCartney red onion and rosemary sausages, there free. I grill a batch every few days.
Have you lost at all yet?

choosingchilli Wed 27-Mar-19 07:30:24

ohyes I've lost a pound so far but hoping with no snacking or sugar at all this week I'll lose more.

I lost over 4 stone on sw a few years ago so I know it works, over the last year about a stone and a half has crept back on but for some reason I'm finding it harder to shift this time around- maybe because I have less to lose then before?

Ohyesiam Wed 27-Mar-19 07:52:07

That happened to me op, so I switched to the blood sugar diet. It’s hardcore but the weight falls off, especially round the middle, which is where I need it.

JessieMcJessie Sat 06-Apr-19 11:48:03

@Owlinatree I don’t think OP is a child! Should boiled sweets also be avoided in life due to risk of choking?

OwlinaTree Sat 06-Apr-19 23:14:07

I've just got an image of a frozen grape being bitten and pinging down a throat. shock

randomlygenorated Thu 18-Apr-19 03:05:37

My greedy arse just read that as people suggesting cold turkey as a snack 😂

FiveNightsAtMummys Thu 18-Apr-19 09:18:15

Could you get the 1 syn biscuits? You'd still be able to have a couple. I have alpen bars..would they could replace your usual cereal bars?

tabulahrasa Fri 26-Apr-19 21:55:43

What are you using your syns on that mean you can’t have the bar and biscuits?... because they’d fit within your syns.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »