Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone successfully kept the weight off long term?

(11 Posts)
Liz79 Sun 17-Mar-19 21:55:08

5 years ago I joined sw, loved it, lost nearly 4.5st in about 18 months. I wasn't at target and was trying to get there but not losing because I wasn't following the plan, my head wasn't in it. Did maintain for a while, by accident. Then had monstrous constant binging. Couldn't eat enough crap. Think I probably need a psychiatrist. Put it all back on - to the lb. Since January I've lost the first 1.5st 😀, doing sw again.

Now I keep seeing things online that sw and ww are full of people who have rejoined, having lost weight and put it all back on (which is true). It's part of their business plan. They rely on repeat customers. They're not really teaching you anything about nutrition. This seems to come from fans of team rh and my fitness pal. However the NHS refers people, Inc pregnant women, to sw. So it must be ok right?

What do people think and who has done sw/ww and kept it off?

Jaffacakebeast Sun 17-Mar-19 22:00:19

Yep, about 12 years ago ww, probably anywhere between 9/10 stone since, I still eat ww meals tho 😳 not all the time, few evenings a week. still weight my self regular and watch what I eat when I’m creeping up, still log on fitness pal when I’m trying to get to the lower end of target. It never goes away, I’m not naturally slim sad

Jaffacakebeast Sun 17-Mar-19 22:00:30

But I haven’t rejoined

Studentnursesos12e Mon 18-Mar-19 01:58:24

This isn't me, because I haven't got as far as sustained successful weight loss haha

But, I think its a mixed bag. There's definitely less target members than normal members, but many target members I know have stayed at their target for a while. A friend from an old group had maintained a 7st weight loss for 8 years, and has recently lowered her target by a stone.
At the core slimming world although for profit is a healthy eating (ish) plan - fruit and veg, cooking from scratch, moderated potential trigger foods (A+B+syns) whilst being easy to follow.

kamillaw Mon 18-Mar-19 19:18:49

I have maintained target for nearly 2 years (with a baby in between) it's a plan you can eat on and actually portion sizes for me have decreased. It happen s naturally. I have accepted that I will forever have to work at my weight and for me the not much counting and actual food suit well.

kamillaw Mon 18-Mar-19 19:20:12

The thing to remember is nothing is banned and so you can have the healthier fats and avocados in your syns for example. You'd calorie count these anyway and wouldn't eat in abundance. I never understood peoples ishoos with this!

Groovee Mon 18-Mar-19 21:32:57

My friend lost 10st and is still maintaining that 7 years down the line.

I'm 363 days into target. It's been a complete overhaul for me.

florriepeck Tue 19-Mar-19 16:45:59

I've been at my target for eleven years, and wouldn't know any other way to eat or cook now.
I have wondered what percentage of new members reach their personal target, and how many stay there.

claireymrsd Sat 23-Mar-19 08:17:02

I've been at target weight for over 2 years now. I get weighed at Group at least every 8 weeks in order to keep my membership live and have access to the app etc.
I generally eat SW friendly during the week and then have some treats at the weekend / non SW meals

FleeBee Sat 23-Mar-19 08:21:57

Been at my revised target for 18 months -but was at my previous target for 2 years
So around 3 & half years SW target member

adagio Sat 23-Mar-19 08:26:44

I’ve never done ww or sw, but I have done mfp. Thing with mfp is you have to find/invent recipes, get really aware of fat/protein/carb balances (to try and stay reasonably full up on inevitably smaller helpings). I guess the clubs providing recipes makes it easier, and some people like the group weigh in (sounds like my idea of personal hell!).

As you know, if you start eating crap instead after any plan, you put it all back on! It’s getting a meal plan for life that you actually manage to stick to that’s really really hard...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: