Talk

Advanced search

lack of support

(18 Posts)
sunshineNdaisies Sat 11-Aug-18 16:46:39

really upset this afternoon. I was planning on starting SW but have argued with both my DM and DH about the diet. Trying to explain to them about syn values and healthier choices and I keep getting asked 'why?' etc. DM simply not getting why I can't just cut out chocolate completely and the fast food/takeaways and lose weigh that way. DM says making food from scratch is too much hassle, just go to the shops and buy some meat and veg, no need to try recipes. Need to think of the rest of the family etc. DH saying I'm being too obsessive about it etc. They've been telling me to lose weight for years and now they are telling me SW isn't going to work for me. I'm a rubbish cook so if DH isn't on board, I'm going to struggle sad Have actually cried today

OrangeSamphire Sat 11-Aug-18 16:52:08

That’s mean of them. Have confidence in your choice to do SW. You don’t need to be a brilliant cook. Keep it simple. Take charge of meals, anyone can learn a few simple family meal recipes from the SW resources. You can do this. That’ll show them!

Bellabutterfly2016 Sat 11-Aug-18 16:58:01

Tell them both to do one!

SW is extremely effective and a very healthy way to eat in terms of a good plan to follow.

There's always the syn free ready meals Iceland sell too for when you're busy.

My ex was like that - very unsupportive hence why he is now an ex! Wanted me to loose weight did nothing to support me. Infact tried to sabotage me by ordering takeaways which I just refused to eat.

You need to do what's right for you and disregard any negative comments from people, you can do it x

WooYa Sat 11-Aug-18 17:39:50

Tell them both to piss off!
My DM and DB are the same... I just ignore them! If your DH is not supportive then just make your own meals. There are some really quick, easy meals on SW.
don't do it for them, do it for you! thanks

Fallennova Sat 11-Aug-18 17:44:18

You do not need their permission. I would personally not mention it again and just join and seek the support from the group not your family.

Sw is really effective and uou are bound to make friends! Prove them wrong!!

Northernmum100 Sat 11-Aug-18 17:53:26

That's a real shame you aren't getting the support. I would really encourage you to stick to your guns. I'm a SW member ( 3 1/2 stone down and maintained this for nearly 12 months) and the whole family has benefitted from the better food choices I make - fresh food and cooked from scratch, cutting out the processed junk. The kids (and Dh) will still have occasional biscuits/crisps/ice cream etc but on the whole stick with what I make. Point out to them both that they could feel the benefit of what you are doing.
Do you think they feel a bit threatened by you maybe changing somehow? Striking out on your own and doing something without them? I have made some fantastic friends and stay at the group- we have a good laugh and celebrate the good weeks and support each other through the not so good weeks, I think this could be your key to get the support you might not get at home. My only regret is not doing it sooner and I feel a whole lot better and fitter than I have done in years. Go for it!

Bellabutterfly2016 Sat 11-Aug-18 18:18:55

You don't need to be an Amazing cook just follow the recipes you'll be fine c

Groovee Sat 11-Aug-18 18:43:59

I've had negative comments from friends over SW but fortunately as I do the cooking dh just complimented when he enjoyed a meal etc.

There's some fab sites such as Slimming world's own recipes, pinch of Nom, Slimming eats, two chubby cubs for helping you learn how to cook and make tasty healthy meals. I would put aside sometime to see what you find and fancy.

A few times I felt it would be complicated but surprised myself with how I managed and it was so much easier than I expected.

If you want to do it, do it. Don't tell your husband and see if he changes his mind with the recipes.

Pop over to the support thread as you will find lots of support there and you can do it x

Bellabutterfly2016 Sat 11-Aug-18 18:54:34

I bought these yesterday -all delicious and buy 3 things get the frozen raspberries for free x

sunshineNdaisies Sun 12-Aug-18 19:14:48

thanks everyone. today was my first proper day and I've had 26 syns! Did so well all day, then went to MILs for our usual sunday dinner. In fairness, she didn't know yet that I was doing SW and DH insisted I 'ate what I was given as it's a free meal'. I tried not to eat parts of it and she wanted to know why...I did feel a bit under pressure. She says she's not making separate meals just for me. I have the option to not go, I know, but it's a family social thing we do every Sunday. We all meet up with the inlaws and chat etc. This is going to be pretty hard.
My mum made me lots of homemade soup and brought it all up in microwave containers for my lunches this week, as a peace offering which was nice of her. Lots of free veggie soup. Although she thinks I'll get really bored of plain meat every dinner. And my DH bought me a costa hot chocolate on the way home! But I didn't accept it! He's in a huff cause he was 'trying to be nice'.
I've joined instagram for inspiration although I've made my account private so friends and family can't see me and comment!

Bellabutterfly2016 Sun 12-Aug-18 20:05:57

A slimming world roast dinner is really easy do to, free meat, tonnes of vegetables, syn free gravy sold in tubs at Iceland, potatoes in fry light then use suns for a Yorkshire pudding

Have a practice then Call her bluff - russle a dinner up and invite her over and show her you can still have a brilliant dinner on plan.

You can do this smile

WooYa Sun 12-Aug-18 20:17:38

Well done sunshine grin you could invite people over and make a SW Sunday roast, or take your own low-syn foods that can replace the usual ones. That way you still get to have family time but don't compromise your diet.
Aww bless your lovely mum smilethanks
You've got this!

Groovee Sun 12-Aug-18 20:32:43

I'm grooveeslimmingjourney on instagram if you want inspiration x

chapthedoor Mon 13-Aug-18 11:54:00

I'd be having serious words with your DH he's not helping. My DH was a bit like that, wanting to order takeaways etc so I just told him no, it's eating stuff like that that got me in this situation (two stone overweight) so he can order it for himself I'm having what I had planned. He didn't bother in the end and hasn't mentioned it since. It's not obsessive just sensible healthy balanced eating. I feel great eating like this I'm really enjoying it and you will too.

You can easily have a Sunday roast on SlimmingWorld just have the meat, vegetables and save some syns for a bit of gravy. Just do that next time.

Bellabutterfly2016 Mon 13-Aug-18 12:31:18

I've just made some sweet potatoe fries syn free for lunch with slimming world sausages, and baked beans - dd3 and dp loving them - it doesn't even feel like healthy eating it's delicious

sunshineNdaisies Mon 13-Aug-18 18:21:41

have just followed you @groovee. You're in Scotland too which is great. I keep forgetting to insta my food (probably cause DH thinks it's weird lol)

Bellabutterfly2016 Mon 13-Aug-18 19:10:14

I'm too un-cool to be on instagram 😂 but I like the idea!!

florriepeck Tue 14-Aug-18 08:59:13

DH feeling threatened, maybe, OP?
I have heard this scenario regularly over the years, attending SW group: OH can't cope with partner's increased confidence and attractiveness.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: