Talk

Advanced search

Can someone explain to me?

(15 Posts)
sociopathsunited Thu 31-May-18 10:14:06

I'm fairly new and have been sticking religiously to the book, and so far so good. I'm a bit confused about some things though.

I can eat plain low fat yogurt, and add some chopped and bashed fruit to it, all for "free". But I can't have a low fat, diet yogurt without counting syns.

The calorie count is probably about the same, but one is free and one is not. Why? Is it because one is more processed than the other?

OP’s posts: |
TheLionQueen1 Thu 31-May-18 10:19:46

All fat free yogurt is free and doesn't need to be synned, low fat/ diet yogurt of any kind can contain syns so you need to check the syn value which can mostly be found on the website! I eat the muller light fat free ones as snacks a lot and they don't contain syns!

sociopathsunited Thu 31-May-18 10:25:52

Really??? Those massive pots of muller light (they're at least twice the size of a "normal" yogurt) are free??

Why don't muller light ones contain syns, and smaller sized pots such as weightwatchers or ski diet yogurts do??

What's so special about the muller light ones? I don't get it......

sociopathsunited Thu 31-May-18 10:26:35

ah wait, you said fat free, not low fat.

Is that the difference?

sociopathsunited Thu 31-May-18 10:27:16

ps I meant fat free in my original post - I like the zero % fat total...

TheLionQueen1 Thu 31-May-18 17:01:08

Sorry been out! Yes they need to be completely Fat Free not low fat!!

TheLionQueen1 Thu 31-May-18 17:02:16

This might help!

MilkyCoffeeAndSkinnySyrup Thu 31-May-18 19:52:14

Not all fat free yogurt are free, I'm afraid!! Some of them do contain syns so ALWAYS check on the app.

Also, Muller Lights are bloody awful IMO. Look at the amount of sugar it contains! It didn't take a rocket science to work out why on Earth I didn't lose weight for a few months despite being on plan 7 days a week...! Just be careful. It doesn't affect everyone but it definitely affected me.

TheLionQueen1 Thu 31-May-18 21:16:30

Did not know that @MilkyCoffeeAndSkinnySyrup glad I've been sticking to the muller lights not others then!! I check literally everything anyway, swear I'm glued to that app nowaways grin

MilkyCoffeeAndSkinnySyrup Thu 31-May-18 22:18:41

I still check even though I have and buy the same things on a regular basis because you never know, syn values can change because the manufacturers add/change ingredients regularly.

sociopathsunited Fri 01-Jun-18 09:49:18

@MilkyCoffeeAndSkinnySyrup That's exactly what I can't get my idiotic little head around. How can something with sugar in it be free???? I don't understand this stupid eating plan. How can a sugar laden yet fat free yogurt be free, yet a slice of bread (once you've had your HE) is synned to all hell and back?

I appreciate that the plan is aimed at getting you to eat "real" food (sorry, I hate that term) and cooking from scratch is the best way to do that, but it's absolutely baffling in places.

I think they're taking the piss sometimes.

sociopathsunited Fri 01-Jun-18 09:50:15

ps I'm with you on mullerlights. Boak. I like plain yogurt.

tabulahrasa Sat 02-Jun-18 13:55:33

I don’t eat muller lights, I don’t like them, but, they’re not full of sugar, the sugar listed is lactose from the yoghurt and fructose from the fruit, there’s no added sugar.

MilkyCoffeeAndSkinnySyrup Fri 08-Jun-18 10:05:06

@tabulahrasa if that's the case then why doesn't it say fructose? It says "sugar".

tabulahrasa Fri 08-Jun-18 10:54:32

Depends where you’re looking... that’s the ingredient list of one and the nutritional information... and the last one is 0% fat plain Greek yoghurt, nothing at all added, the only ingredient is yoghurt.

Nutritional information groups all types of sugars together as sugars, if there’s added sugars it will say so in the ingredients.

Some flavours do have a bit of added fructose, but the total amount of sugar is not from that, it’s from everything, the yoghurt itself, the fruit...

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in