Talk

Advanced search

First meeting. Is it meant to be like this?

(18 Posts)
Skittlelover Thu 08-Feb-18 11:37:50

Feeling very upset and low. Just tried to go to my first meeting at slimming world to try to loose weight as I have had recurrent miscarriages and am waiting for tests. I Walked there feeling positive. Followed a new members sign to a room off the main bit, filled in my form. No one welcomed me or told me where to go. Just felt miserable and embarrassed. Left after an hour of no one communicating at all they just started their meeting without me. Feeling so low now. Don't really know what to do. I know it's partly that I just lost another baby at 12 weeks 2 weeks ago, but I felt like I tried so hard but failed to manage a meeting. sad

SunshineDreamingAllDay Thu 08-Feb-18 11:41:25

That doesn't sound right at all. At my meetings, the consultant gives you a personal talk before the meeting starts. You should have been spoken too but did anyone know you were there?
Could you try a different group with a different leader? Or perhaps try online?
I'm sorry for your losses.

Skittlelover Thu 08-Feb-18 11:46:09

Thanks for replying. I don't know I asked someone where new members go and they said follow the signs. The sign then said take a seat there and fill in a form. I had rung the night before to say I was coming too. Maybe it was just bad luck. I Walked home in tears. Don't know if I could face trying again. Hubby has said he will come with me but he's working during all the meetings in my area. Just feeling so rubbish, feel like I fail at everything I do.

MamaLupine Thu 08-Feb-18 11:49:32

I joined fairly recently and it certainly wasn't as you describe! The leader sat all the new starters down and chatted to us. The other members were lovely and friendly and showed me where to go to make a drink. Long shot but if you're in Liverpool, I'll come with you!

Skittlelover Thu 08-Feb-18 11:51:25

That's kind but I'm just north of London so a bit far. Thanks for the thought. I'm sure there are nice people who go. I think I've just lost my confidence already which makes it so much harder to speak up.

3boys3dogshelp Thu 08-Feb-18 12:03:43

No not at all! That’s really poor of the consultant to not check if you were there.
I have gone to three different groups due to working funny shifts and there is a huge difference in the meetings depending on who is running them. Can you try a different group?
Please try again OP - it’s them not you! Hope you feel better soon.

Groovee Thu 08-Feb-18 14:46:13

Nothing like our group. We have a new members area that when weigh in starts, the consultant goes through the new member talk. Then you join the rest of the group for image therapy.

Skittlelover Thu 08-Feb-18 15:44:51

Thanks everyone. May try another group next week or something. Unfortunately, right now I'm eating mini eggs sad.

humblesims Thu 08-Feb-18 18:51:57

Please try another group. As others have said, you should have been welcomed and had a talk with the consultant (they do the newbie talks while group is getting weighed) and mostly people are very friendly.
I'm so sorry you are feeling low and for for your loses. Dont worry about the mini eggs. You went and thats a positive start and its the group that is at fault NOT YOU. Give yourself a break and try another group. flowers

OuchLegoHurts Fri 09-Feb-18 09:26:05

That's totally wrong. I felt very welcome on my first day. I would try again next week and go right up to the consultant and tell her you're there.

ChessieFL Fri 09-Feb-18 19:03:17

That’s awful, especially if you told the consultant in advance that you were coming. At my group they have someone there to welcome new members and get them a drink, then the consultant would come over and do the new member talk. Please try another group!

PlaymobilPirate Fri 09-Feb-18 19:05:58

That's really poor - 80% of the reason I'm sticking with SW is that my leader is fab and the group is great. I'm not the most sociable person but I've made friends and genuinely look forward to a catch up with them before the proper meeting starts.

InfiniteSheldon Sat 10-Feb-18 07:05:05

That's awful please try another group and ring SW head office. I'm betting you get a six week countdown, definitely an apology and that group consultant needs a serious bollocking!

Northernmum100 Sat 10-Feb-18 14:40:24

Please don't be put off, you have just been to a group which isn't run very well by the sound of it. See if there is another group nearby run by a different consultant (the SW website lists groups by postcode and says who runs it). I am on our social team and we have a 'welcome person' near the door to welcome new members-say hello, get them a drink and generally give them a warm welcome. Give it another go and I hope things get better for you soonflowers

newmum7369 Mon 12-Feb-18 09:16:33

No that's rubbish, please don't be put off, try another group. Similar happened to me when I joined before Xmas, useless consultant, room full of clicky members who let me sit there in silence. After Xmas I joined a new group, great consultant, friendly people and I've made a few new friends with similar aged children who I now meet up with for walks. Plus I've lost 1.5 stone in 7 weeks smile

I've done SW before and lost 4 stone until I had a baby and put a fair bit back on because I stopped going, won't make that mistake again next time. My fist consultant was fantastic and the group was lovely, until the consultant changed, the new one was useless and a lot of the members subsequently dropped away. The people make it so please do try another group.

Good luck!

SweetIcedTea Fri 23-Feb-18 12:22:44

Did you try another group Skittlelover?

Skittlelover Fri 23-Feb-18 12:40:03

Thanks for everyone's support. I haven't tried another group, decided to go at it alone with my hubby's support and I have lost 5 pounds in almost 2 weeks so I am very pleased. Starting to feel much better and focusing on positive things. Thank you all for your kind words it helped me through a difficult couple of days. Good luck on everyone's weight loss journeys. Xx

lucieloo48 Fri 23-Feb-18 15:55:19

On the plus side mini eggs are only 1 syn per egg😇. Join another group they’re not supposed to be like that. These things have to fit, you have to feel comfortable xx good luck and keep us posted

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: