Talk

Advanced search

Quark recipes

(17 Posts)
thisgirlrides Sun 19-Nov-17 23:28:14

I've heard much about using quark on SW so decided to buy some but realised I've absolutely no idea what to do with it! Any suggestions? I'd love a creamy pasta (lasagne maybe if I save my hea for cheese?) or maybe a pudding but worried they'll all have that same slightly acrid taste you sometimes get with cream cheese yes I'm thinking of you carbonara with Philadelphia extra light hmm

thisgirlrides Mon 20-Nov-17 22:33:28

Anyone? It’s going to go off soon grin

CatherineCawood Mon 20-Nov-17 22:35:00

Personally I find it utterly disgusting only fit for the bin! Sorry thats not terribly helpful.

Groovee Tue 21-Nov-17 15:30:03

I sprinkle sweetener over it and eat it like a yoghurt.

Bananalanacake Tue 21-Nov-17 15:35:48

I thought quark only existed in Germany. They're mad on it here. Still not sure what it Is, Miracel Whip is also a mystery to me.

thisgirlrides Tue 21-Nov-17 16:20:19

Ahh @Groovee I don’t like sweetener. Never mind will leave in the fridge in the hope of inspiration until it ends up in the bin wink

Cinnamontwirl Tue 21-Nov-17 18:22:18

I seem to be eating quark by the bucketload- mix it with some freshly chopped mint or mint sauce and use with crudités as a dip, or stir into nutella (6.5 syns for a tablespoon) for a chocolate mousse type dessert!

Groovee Tue 21-Nov-17 22:25:44

Others use options sachets in quartz

user1486915549 Fri 24-Nov-17 21:53:00

Mix with a muller light toffee flavour and top with a chopped peach.
Yummy instant pudding.

InfiniteSheldon Sat 25-Nov-17 10:53:03

Mix with smoked salmon dill lemon juice it's for pate.
swirl it into soups for added protein,
mix with nutmeg and chipped spinach and stuff giant pasta shells/cannelloni.
Add a few drops of no added sugar juice concentrate for 'petit filou'
Mix with stilton and stuff the round end of a butternut squash

Bloody love it

GoldenBlue Sat 25-Nov-17 21:02:07

Over night oats. 40g oats a couple of tablespoons of water, big scoop of quark and a mound of frozen fruit on top, leave over night.

Baked oats, 40g oats, big scoop of quark, an egg, tablespoon of sweetener (or half a banana if you prefer natural sweetness but you are supposed to syn the banana as it's cooked (I never do)) a teaspoon of mixed spice. Blitz and cook in the oven, I prefer using silicon cup cake mounds and the above makes 6.

Mix with garlic and a measured amount of blue cheese, blitz for a great dip.

Blitz with a tin of chick peas, garlic and salt for houmous

There is a fabulous baked cheese cake recipe in the festive food book too, it is very good

sadeyedladyofthelowlands63 Sun 26-Nov-17 19:38:43

Use it in SW quiche - gives a much creamier texture than cottage cheese. I've got one in the oven as I type. I fried leeks and chilli in Frylight and spread it on the bottom of a pie dish, then whisked up a small tub of quark (I used the tomato and basil one from Tesco - 1 syn for the pot) with four eggs and poured it over the leek mixture. I grated 2 HE portions of cheddar and scattered it on top. 30 min at gas mark 5. It's delicious!

There was a really good macaroni cheese recipe in the SW mag a while back - it's probably on the website.

GoldenBlue Sun 26-Nov-17 20:56:17

Good call on the quiche, the baseless quiche is great in individual silicon cupcake cases. A great snack to take to work.

Also whizzed into sugar free jelly before it sets is yummy. You can layer it to do a fabulous posh looking pudding.
Strawberries across the bottom of the loaf tin. Set in strawberry jelly. Once set make up a second lot of jelly and add the quark and pour on top. Let the whole lot set and slice. It looks and tastes lush.

honeyrider Tue 05-Dec-17 22:50:33

Baked oreo cheesecakes 2.5 syns each

ftw Tue 05-Dec-17 22:53:40

Roast onions, tomatoes, red peppers. Blitz, stir in quark, splash balsamic, add ground pepper. Serve with pasta. Yum.

gingerclementine Tue 05-Dec-17 23:08:29

Hi

I still make two or three Quark recipes from my (short and not very successful) days at SW.

Spaghetti Carbonara:
1 pot of quark
2 beaten eggs
lean bacon, chopped into slices
garlic and onion, finely chopped
tiny amount of olive oil brushed into the pan
finely grated low fat strong cheddar or parmesan
peas
chopped parsley
seasoning

Fry garlic, bacon and onion and onion in a small amount of olive oil in the pan while pasta is cooking
whisk up quark with beaten egg, salt, pepper, thyme and a small amount of grated nutmeg.
Steam peas over the pasta if adding them.

When pasta is 1-2 mins short of being cooked, drain it, add the quark mix, bacon mix and peas, and stir over a low heat for 1-2 mins. Grate in some strong, low fat cheese and add parsley if you like it. Serve wiht salad.
Iirc, the cheese is a healthy extra, and the oil is a syn or 1/2 syn depending on how much you use. The rest is free.

Same sauce with more cheese added, and a drop of mustard stirred into steamed cauli and/or macaroni makes macaroni cheese. Served with grilled or roasted tomatoes and salad.

HotelEuphoria Fri 08-Dec-17 18:37:51

I used it yesterday in a fish pie instead of my usual thick calorie ridden cheese sauce. It was really very acceptable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now