Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Do you need to exercise

(14 Posts)
Eleast Sun 05-Nov-17 18:55:04

I used to go to slimming world before I had kids. I did great there went from a 16-18 to a 8-10. I was religious about it all. But I also trained a lot at the gym boxing kettlebells and cardio. Since having kids my weight has gone up and up I’m now 11st7lbs and I’m only 5ft. My target is 9st but my kids haven’t started school yet I’m a stay at home mom and I can’t afford a gym and slimming world. But in my head I can’t see me getting anywhere with SW without the exercise. So I don’t even try because I’ve already failed as far as I’m concerned.

Does anybody have success stories where they managed to lose the weight without exercising all the time? My kids are exhausting and I don’t have energy at all and thats why I keep snacking on junk and getting bigger and bigger.

00100001 Sun 05-Nov-17 19:02:11

Unless you are doing a ridiculous amount of exercise, the calories burnt are not significant.

All you need to do to lose weight is eat fewer calories than you use. Slimming world helps you achieve this by promoting "speed foods"

susiegrapevine Sun 05-Nov-17 19:07:10

I did slimming world and lost 2st 9lb in 10 months and got to my target. I did no extra exercise and all the exercise i do really is a 10 minute walk for the school run 4 times a week (dh does the other school runs). I am starting an exercise class in a week or so but thats to tone all the saggy bits i now have from loosing weight. I would highly recommend sw it was so easy to follow. Defo no need for exercise. Good luck op

RunningOutOfCharge Sun 05-Nov-17 19:09:37

Er, yes, yes they are significant!!

Op there’s lots you can do

Walking
DVD at home
30 day challenge at home
Hire a treadmill
As for weights set for Xmas
Gardening

You knowhow it works and what the benefits are. They are more than burning calories.

And I burn roughly 90-100 calories per ten minutes of a run!

Groovee Sun 05-Nov-17 19:38:42

I try to walk as much as I can. I didn’t do any exercise for the first 2st of my losses. I now do an exercise class twice a week but it was more to tone me up a bit and because I had more confidence.

amusedbush Mon 06-Nov-17 11:22:11

Unless you are doing a ridiculous amount of exercise, the calories burnt are not significant.

Eh? I burn 600-800kcal during an hour long spin class - hardly "ridiculous" hmm

I've lost weight in the past without exercise but I can tell you that my body looks completely different now, even with just three 60 minute fitness classes a week. I'm a full dress size smaller than I was last time I was the same weight and I've slimmed down all over.

So no, it's not necessary but I look a lot better for it.

Nancy91 Mon 06-Nov-17 11:31:14

If your diet is on point then you don't need to do exercise to lose weight. There are tons of benefits to exercising though and you don't need a gym membership to do it.

fuckinguseless Mon 06-Nov-17 13:38:30

I started SW in March. I’ve lost over three stone and gone from a size 16/18 to a 10/12 without doing any exercise other than the occasional potter round a National Trust place or walk with DS in the buggy.

Eleast Mon 06-Nov-17 22:10:40

Thanks ladies. I think I’m going to focus on my eating plan until the end of the month when I get paid and then start a gym membership. It’s just a case of working out when I’d fit the gym in. I just need to get my eating under control I think and hopefully lose some weight that way.
I miss doing weights, I boxed and did kettlebells until I was 8 months pregnant with my eldest. I miss being so fit and knowing I was strong. Now I feel like a slob

Zoesweet Thu 09-Nov-17 10:22:08

You can exercise even inside your own room. If you're thinking of losing weight you can start from cutting down sweets and carbs. If you wanna get physically toned then you have to target those muscles and curves. Just saying. Been there before and lost weight without going to the gym. Just set a realistic goal.

JaneEyre70 Thu 09-Nov-17 10:28:26

There are 1000s of exercise workouts on YouTube that don't cost anything, walking is free as is running. I've lost nearly 4 stone but I power walk for around 1 hr a day with my dog and that's made a massive difference. I sprained my ankle in the summer, couldn't walk for a few weeks and my weight loss stalled massively so I think the two go hand in hand. Plus exercise makes you feel so much better.

angelawilliams Thu 09-Nov-17 11:27:22

I lost 2 and a half stone last year just religiously sticking to SW and going on some bike rides with my family. If you can't afford the gym (I couldn't either) then this is the most ideal. Get your kids out and get yourself out to the park, ride your bikes and have some fun - doing this on Saturday or Sunday mornings is great too because it ruins off some of their energy! x

thisgirlrides Thu 09-Nov-17 16:35:27

SW will get the weight off and any exercise is better than none but actually I do it for body shape, self-esteem and sense of well-being and as a boost to weight loss (& most importantly keep it off once lost without being a slave to SW for the rest of your life grin)

GoldenBlue Thu 09-Nov-17 22:52:37

I lost 3.5 stone and have been at target for nearly a year now. But I've hardly done any exercise, despite best intentions. I keep meaning to start, but I'm busy and lazy 😀

I choose not to eat as many carbs as I think I would if exercising, but that suits me

Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now