Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Slimming world without the groups?

(13 Posts)
Snowwhitequeen Mon 23-Oct-17 09:26:01

I can’t afford to join SW at the moment but I can see from friends that it works, so what do you guys think about buying the starter pack off eBay but not attending groups? The thing is I only have about a stone to lose, but I’m a total bugger when it comes to eating crap and that weight is increasing, but I’m aware I look ‘fine’ to most people, I just don’t feel fine in myself and I have poor body image anyway for a variety of reasons including traumatic ones. And like most women that extra weight has settled on my stomach / hips / thighs and it’s making me feel crap. I want to lose weight for myself but I would feel a bit silly going to a group in case it made people with a lot to lose feel irritated by me. It’s easy to say “eat less, move more” but I’d sooner follow an actual plan and I dont know about red / green days or syns or any of that stuff. I bought the magazine a while back and liked it a lot. Please don’t shoot me down, I would like some honest advice.

Auspiciouspanda Mon 23-Oct-17 09:33:26

Yeah you don't need to go to groups to succeed on it.

I would however suggest waiting until there's a free membership offer in a mag ( mags are £1) and only going for one week which would be £5 and the consultant will explain the pack and diet to you which would be cheaper then buying the starter pack off eBay

RhinoGirl Mon 23-Oct-17 10:30:00

There is a voucher in Closer magazine tomorrow for free membership so it will cost £5. You will get a brand new pack and have it all explained to you. If you’ve never done slimming world before this is the best option as just reading it can lead to confusion. I.e there are no red/green days anymore, the plan is called Extra Easy.

RhinoGirl Mon 23-Oct-17 10:30:34

But you don’t need to stay to group to lose weight.

Snowwhitequeen Mon 23-Oct-17 10:43:56

Thank you Rhino - that’s brilliant!! So do I get the pack sent to me or did I still have to turn up to the group? I know that’s the premise of it and I know that would be great, it’s just not an option right now.

pandorawithtreaclecolouredhair Mon 23-Oct-17 11:17:54

OP, you would have to attend a group to receive the pack and to have the Consultant explain the plan to you clearly.
Have a look at the SW website and enter your postcode for groups near to you;there will be plenty of choice.

Snowwhitequeen Mon 23-Oct-17 12:24:08

Ok, well a friend of mine is looking to do it too so I think we’ll go together. I need to suck it up and do this.

Groovee Mon 23-Oct-17 16:36:20

Use the closer magazine voucher. You’ll only have to pay £5 for the first week but you will get the books and the whole plan explained x

Snowwhitequeen Mon 23-Oct-17 17:46:03

Brilliant - so do I take the voucher to the group or sign up online? I may end up going each week tbh, two friends are doing it with me now.

Groovee Mon 23-Oct-17 18:02:58

Take it along to group. Aim to arrive for when it starts so you get your full talk.

pandorawithtreaclecolouredhair Mon 23-Oct-17 20:57:13

OP, it's good to hear that you are thinking that you might stay for the weekly group.
I am a long-time target member, and try to attend most weeks; it keeps me on track, and I would really miss the support and friendship if I didn't go.

didyoureally Tue 24-Oct-17 15:13:37

I think that attending the groups does help but I also think it is possible to go it alone if you can motivate yourself. Lots of SW recipes are online and the Pinch of Nom website has loads of great recipes and meal plans that follow the SW rules.

fraggle84 Tue 24-Oct-17 19:31:48

I’d recommend buying a food directory when you’re in group, they are £7.50 and have all the syns in so if you decide to follow it at home that will really help

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now