Talk

Advanced search

Anyone joined slimming world and gained weight?

(38 Posts)
christmasunicorn Thu 24-Aug-17 21:00:06

I'm new, never done slimming world before. I officially join group on 12th September (joining with a friend and waiting till schools are back and birthdays are over) but am currently on a pre-diet diet using information I've picked up on the net about the plan and MFP. Previously I have done Atkins, calorie counting, slim fast and Exante. Generally all diets that restrict food groups or quantity. I struggle to get my head around eating so much and being allowed chocolate, sweets and crisps every day. I am convinced I am going to put on weight each week instead of loosing it. Has this happened to anyone? Is it possible?
I know it probably sounds ridiculous, and I keep reading stories about how people keep loosing and, I know this is crazy, but I want to hear some failure stories to set realistic expectations in my mind. I'd hate to feel like the first person who gains weight instead of loosing.
Sorry if this was all a bit of a ramble and thank you for taking the time to read, it's a lot to take in and to completely change my thinking about how to loose weight

IheartCaptainHolt Thu 24-Aug-17 21:15:53

Yes you can eat a lot and yes you can eat biscuits and chocolate and crisps etc. You can eat whatever you like but if you follow the plan then the unhealthy foods (chocolate, crisps etc ) are eaten in such small quantities that you will lose weight.

You do have to stick to the plan religiously though. It's pointless doing it otherwise tbh but if you do you will see results.

You are encouraged to eat one third of your plate at each meal of free foods (most fruit and veg) the idea being that fills you up so less room in your stomach for crap and carbs.

You can do it but if your head isn't in the right place then it's difficult. If you want to follow the principles of it now why not join a group tomorrow instead of waiting till 12th?

I hope I'm not coming across as a cow! Just no point fannying around with it sometimes, crack on and join and you could have lost 7lb by the 12th!

Mushroomburger17 Thu 24-Aug-17 21:18:50

Me! Eat X until you feel full. I was 3 stone overweight; I was NEVER full!!!

christmasunicorn Thu 24-Aug-17 21:49:51

iheart don't worry you aren't coming across as a cow, I really appreciate the perspective. Reason I've not joined this week is I have 43p in my bank account. I can't afford it. My head is in the right place, I feel dedicated and motivated but I also feel skint plus it's my birthday in two weeks and I work term time only so just thought I'd wait until the temptation to snack all day is gone and I don't have to feel guilty about a takeaway and cake (takeaway on birthday is a family tradition!). I can still loose the 7lbs before then I guess but as I don't own a working set of scales I won't know. I know what I would like to be on that first weigh in so I'm aiming for that.
As I said it's changing my whole mindset and thinking, trying to get that I can eat a crunchie (I love crunchies) every day and loose weight. It reminds me of trying to get my head around the concept of imaginary numbers (I'm a mathematician) or when I have to teach kids the concept of negative numbers, when all they've been taught it you can't take 7 away from 5 and 0 is the lowest number there is. It's all a mindset I guess.
Sorry again, evening ramblings. I should stop over-thinking it really

IheartCaptainHolt Fri 25-Aug-17 01:58:52

Fair enough for not joining now. The 12th is not far away and making small changes now will help prepare you.

The eating treats thing is a good part of the plan. It stops you getting bored, thinking sod it, and then eating loads of crap!

Glad you didn't think I was being mean. Changing your mindset is hard and sometimes we all need a bit of tough love!

Groovee Fri 25-Aug-17 07:37:54

I have a friend who lost 11lb and regardless of what she changed etc she could not lose anymore on SW. Her mum has lost over 3st so she had a lot of support in place.

I think you need to stop looking at SW as a diet. Think of it as a lifestyle change. You can still have your crunchie by using your syns but some days you may decide you would rather have crisps and give the crunchie a break.

I'm 8 months in to my journey and i now do things without thinking, such as having a veg snack or a yoghurt instead of numerous packets of crisps.

HotelEuphoria Fri 25-Aug-17 07:51:04

I have lost on it several times. I know that if I follow it 100% it works, uts when you start letting it slide and forgetting to count certain suns that it stops working. Obviously grin.

Geepee71 Mon 28-Aug-17 10:50:47

It works if you follow the plan and ideally look at it as a lifestyle change.
You can have treats, but they are measured. But the idea is to fill up on free and speed food, which is fruit and veg.

You won't gain if you follow the plan, but it is weird that you can eat large portions. However you are meant to eat until you are satisfied, not stuffed to bursting, although I am greedy and do have huge portions.

We all have weeks when we gain or stay the same and obviously weeks where we lose. I write down everything that I eat in a journal and it means I keep an eye on how I'm using my syns.

Good luck with it.

Nakedavenger74 Mon 28-Aug-17 11:03:58

I gained 5 lbs in three weeks on SW and I felt awful and bloated. My skin went to shit too. I don't usually eat any sweet things or crisps but as they were allowed in moderation I started eating them! Pasta as a free food is laughable as it makes me horribly bloated and I can't be trusted with fruit.

I hated the fact that vile manufactured sugary food such as fruit yoghurt is supported whereas butter, olive oil, nuts or Avo isn't. It surely doesn't get you into a healthier relationship with food

Low carb is the only thing that's worked for me. I'm On the Blood sugar diet now and lost 7lbs in a week and feel great.

Auspiciouspanda Mon 28-Aug-17 11:14:53

I'm on slimming world and I lose 2-3 pounds a week on average which I'm very happy with as.

I will touch on the sweets, crisps and chocolate every day thing as this seems to be a very common thing people say about slimming world. You have 5 - 15 syns a Day unless your either male or have a very high BMI - a full sized bounty is 14 syns, walkers ready salted is 6.5 and a 25 gram bag of haribo 4.5 syns which totals 25 so 10 syns over.

So you can't have crisps, chocolate and sweets every day on the plan - it's restricted and teaches you moderation so you can have one bag of crisps if you want to and still lose weight if all your meals are healthy.

OwlinaTree Mon 28-Aug-17 16:28:01

naked you have your syns to use on avo, butter etc. There is no reason why you have to use them on junk.

fluffydogs Mon 28-Aug-17 16:38:50

Every time I join SW, I have gained weight. I follow it to the letter but still gain. I don't like it either. I always lose weight on WW so I go back to that. I never have a great deal to lose, the same stone backwards and forwards!! 🙄🙄🙄

FatBettyintheCoop Mon 28-Aug-17 16:44:28

Unless you need the shared embarrassment of a social weigh in, just count calories. It's much cheaper and as long as there's a deficit, you will lose weight.
I joined Nutracheck online as I like using the App to log my daily calories and I've lost 2 stone in about 4 months by sticking to a daily limit of 1400 calories or 9800 calls a week.
There's no magic food or forbidden food (sugar, fat, carbs), just calories.

Nakedavenger74 Mon 28-Aug-17 20:06:33

I realise that @OwlinaTree. My issue is that avocado, one of the most nutrition dense foods and a source of good fats is considered a 'syn' whereas a Muller Light packed with sugar and limited nutritional value is considered free. Something's wrong with that.

OwlinaTree Mon 28-Aug-17 20:49:41

Thing is avocados are very calorific. It's easy to eat a lot of calories eating them. Muller light might be full of crap, but they are low calorie.

Glad you've found a diet that is working for you though.

strawberrykiss36 Tue 29-Aug-17 10:33:25

I think it just depends on the person; my mum is a low carb fan and has lost a couple stone and follows the "lifestyle" now to maintain it. Personally when I tried it I felt miserable for weeks, ended up binging and then trying to go back. onto it strictly and binging again. I scoffed at slimming world because I don't agree with eating the "low fat" versions of things that are packed with sugar, so I don't - I have the normal version just a small amount. Slimming world allows me to have the little treats that I like though, and stops me from going off the rails and spending weeks binging on chocolate and takeaways. The weigh in is something that has so far kept me on the plan too.

BasinHaircut Tue 29-Aug-17 12:22:54

naked, I think the point is that people who eat avocado and nuts and olive oil for the benefits of 'good fats', are not usually the people who slimming world are targeting.

Of course all of those thing are fine as part of a healthy balanced diet, but SW is above everything else something that people turn to to lose weight/fat, and whilst the approach does unfortunately mean that high calorie but nutrient dense foods are restricted, if they weren't then it just wouldn't work. It still encourages healthier eating in terms of increased fruit and veg. And you don't have to eat muller lights - and I don't know many people that actually do.

Gorgosparta Wed 30-Aug-17 17:19:37

I do slimming world.

Have lost 10lb in 3 weeks.

I dont eat pasta, rice, bread (i have digestive problems) and havent eaten a muller yoghurt or pasta in sauce etc.

Yes you can do it and eat those things but they are not a must. If there is something on slimming world that you dont like, makes you feel crap or dont think is healthy....dont have it.

christmasunicorn Fri 01-Sep-17 07:43:26

So I joined on Tuesday and have been 100% on plan but I've gained 2lb hmm I'll keep going as I know you shouldn't weigh daily as weight can fluctuate etc etc but I'm kinda worried that my feelings were correct and I'm going to be the random anomaly that it just doesn't work for sad

Gorgosparta Fri 01-Sep-17 19:51:26

You arent going to know if its working or not until weigh in.

If you have put weigh on there will be a reason.

You felt you would put weight on, for no other reason than you thought it. Now is seems to be happening.

Is there a chance you are self sabotaging and in denial? I have been there.

christmasunicorn Sat 02-Sep-17 19:36:48

Well this morning I was down 1lb from the other day. Still one up from Monday but I've also started tracking all the food I'm eating on mfp and I'm kicking out at between 1300-1500 calories a day so theoretically, I should loose it all in the long run. My usual go to diet is a vlcd so I'm used to standing on the scales after the first two days and finding a good loss so it was just a shock to see a gain. But I'm feeling more positive and if all else fails, I made sure I wore my heaviest jeans last Tuesday for my first weigh in, and this week it will be leggings, so that's got to be 1lb at least 🤣

GoldenBlue Sun 03-Sep-17 23:11:07

I've been going to SW for 18 months. I've been at target since xmas having lost 3 1/2 stone.

In all that time the only times I've seen people putting on weight rather than losing is when people forget to follow the plan properly.

Have regular meals with at least a third of your plate being speed food. That is the lowest calorific fruit and veg. This naturally reduces the portion size of the other food. The food should be low fat and made up of free food (other veg, lean meat or pulses, some carbs).

If you're hungry in between have a snack of free food, but speed or protein in best.

Syns are there to be enjoyed and help you to stop feeling restricted. I like to use some for oil as salad dressing (6 syns per table spoon) and occasional treats such as a curly whirly (6 syns). You shouldn't feel very hungry on the SW plan.

I don't eat loads of carbs as it makes me bloated and affects my weight temporarily but others still lose weight on the plan.

Good luck

PhantomBlooper Wed 06-Sep-17 06:58:20

How are you getting on christmasunicorn?

I have come to slimming world from doing a vlcd. Started on Monday. Hopped on the scales this morning and have gained 2lbs! I've now vowed not to weigh myself until weigh day and try not to think about it.

Like you I'm used to getting on the scales and seeing instant results so it's a bit disheartening. I'm trying to tell myself that I'm shifting to a more sustainable way of eating and it'll settle down in the long run. I've been on and off a low carb diet since March but I think my metabolism is still recovering.

Let me know how you get on? Maybe we could be SW buddies? grin

GoldenBlue Wed 06-Sep-17 07:16:12

Hi Phantom,
There is a lower carb option on SW called extra easy SP if you want a balance between your previous diet and food optimising.

On SP you have 2 measured portions of carbs as healthy b's, your healthy a of dairy and then eat Speed and protein foods, with the 5-15 syns to give you some treats

PhantomBlooper Wed 06-Sep-17 07:45:11

Thanks Golden.

I have been doing something like that naturally anyway. For example, my food today is:

Overnight oats with 40g oats, fat free yogurt and a few mixed berries

Chicken salad with lettuce, grated carrot, gherkins and cherry tomatoes

Dinner will probably be chicken with Swede mash (no butter, just mashed swede) and broccoli

And then for snacks I've got 4 seafood sticks and 2 babybel cheeses

Does that sound alright? I feel like it's too easy, because I struggled with low carb and was binging quite a bit. With this I feel more flexible and less trapped if I am out and about and can't find a suitable meal.

Seeing 2lbs this morning has made me wonder if I've made the right decision but I am going to review everything in 2 weeks and see what's not working for me.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: