Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Does exercise slow down the loss?

(12 Posts)
mumthatruns Tue 20-Jun-17 13:48:45

I joined SW originally about 18mths ago, did really well and lost almost 5stone. Had an operation in October last year and ended up not going again until 5 weeks ago. Re-joined my old group and as I'm now more active than before was expecting bigger losses.

When I first joined, I had lost 1.5 stone in my first 4 weeks.

My weigh in this week will be week 5 since re-joining and I'm sticking to plan, not going over on my syns and I have lost a total of 3.5lbs. I lost that in the first week, then have been having gains and losses since, but still 3.5lbs in 4 weeks.

The only thing that different this time around is now I run 4 times a week and I cycle 10 miles a week (commuting).

This wouldn't be slowing down my losses would it? I've taken measurements to see if I'm losing inches instead of pounds, but so far nothing obvious.

It's soul destroying! Going from my groups previous "Woman of the Year" to not knowing what to do. Help!!

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Tue 20-Jun-17 13:51:55

Hmm, I have heard the theory that it can do - the whole "muscle weighs more than fat" thing.

Personally though, I've found that exercise helps with my losses (also SW) generally. Burning more calories has to be good for weight loss surely?

Jellybean85 Tue 20-Jun-17 13:56:23

It might be the muscle weighs more logic, also you could have hit a plateau which is really common.

Please remember though that exercise is not solely to lose weight it has huge health benefits and by not exercising you put yourself At risk of all sorts of health problems.

Keep up the exercise you sound like you're doing great, consider looking at reverse dieting? Worked a treat on two of my friends

FatGirlWithChocolate Tue 20-Jun-17 14:00:21

I think that the first time you "diet" the weight always comes off easier than subsequent times I'm afraid, however, the good news is that combined with exercise you may find that you lose a lot of inches quicker than you lose on the scale, leading to a new body shape, if not a massive difference in weight. I have found this to be really true, so I encourage you to keep going.

mumthatruns Tue 20-Jun-17 14:56:01

I'm sticking with the exercise for the moment as I'm really enjoying it and have a half marathon in October so can't stop now!

I'm hoping it's the muscle weighs more thing. I'll keep an eye on my inches and see what happens.

What's reverse dieting @Jellybean85 ?

RoseVase2010 Tue 20-Jun-17 15:03:48

Muscle is denser than fat. They weigh the same.

Migraleve Tue 20-Jun-17 15:06:07

It's unlikely to be the muscle myth. Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat. This is ridiculous to even consider. A pound is a pound regardless of what it's of.

Try logging on my fitness pal for a week, so you are tracking calories and exercise, it may be you are not eating enough.

Migraleve Tue 20-Jun-17 15:06:31

Also to add to the muscle thing, it doesn't build that quickly.

VictoriaMcdade Tue 20-Jun-17 15:12:57

I reckon you might be onto something.

Strangely, when I was exercising (and watching what I ate) my weight loss was pretty slow and steady. (C25K three times a week, weights twice a week.)

When I cut down on exercising during school holidays and the like, I find that my weight loss speeds up a little.

However, and this is a bit HOWEVER, the exercising made me feel loads better, my limbs did not ache when I got out of bed in the morning, my knees didn't creak, my hip did not twinge. I felt stronger and better about myself.

So, my conclusion is....

I don't know really, you have to watch what you eat, and just rely on that for weight loss, and think of the exercise as something that will just make your life better.

(Although I do think that exercise can buy you a bit more time before you pile on the pounds again if you fall off the wagon with your diet.)

mumthatruns Tue 20-Jun-17 15:19:46

@RoseVase2010 yes they weigh the same, 3lb in weight is the same whatever the items are. It's the density, that's why you potentially lose inches. smile

mumthatruns Tue 20-Jun-17 15:22:05

I have been doing exercise regularly since February, just haven't re-joined until recently and noticed the scales aren't showing any difference.

I was thinking of using MFP alongside SW to see if portion sizes could be off a bit, but can't give up on SW for the moment as am 2 weeks into my 12 week countdown!

Jellybean85 Tue 20-Jun-17 15:23:49

If you've been in a calorie defect for a long time your body will learn to live like that.
Reverse dieting is increasing the number of calories but from healthy meals. And boosting your metabolism, works well alongside exercise, both of my friends looked a lot leaner and slimmer though possible didn't weigh
Loads less.

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/nutrition/meal-plans/5-ways-reverse-dieting-can-take-your-body-next-level

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now