Talk

Advanced search

Not sure I 'believe' in SW?

(74 Posts)
Castasunder Sun 28-May-17 15:28:17

Sorry - I also posted this in the support group before realising I'd probs need my own thread...

Hello everyone.

Just popping my head in to see if I can muster up the gusto to join SW in real life. Have done it with varying degrees of success over the years but mainly veer towards low carb/high fat diets.
I'm hypothyroid, which hadn't helped my weight but I'm mostly just greedy and need a kick in the backside.

The truth is- I absolutely believe in the 'science' of low carb/high fat. It makes sense to me and clean eating always makes me feel fab- yet the weight still barely trickles off. The 'science' of SW makes my teeth itch- telling us to stock up on mugshots and Müller lights and to put away the olive oil just doesn't sit right with me, yet here I am wondering if I should give it a go anyway because it's got a club, and support groups and a plan that I can follow to the letter. Having failed at pretty much everything else , I am feeling more inclined towards SW purely for the discipline.

My vices are most definitely wine on any diet - and it's so weight gaining, so I know I need to sort that out.

Can anyone help me give my head a shake? I've 4stone to lose. Should I do it? Is there a way for me to do it without all those frankenfoods? If I do the low carb version, it'll still be low fat, won't it? Where will I get my energy from?

Sorry for all the questions!
TIA

CashelGirl Sun 28-May-17 15:40:29

I know what you mean - if avocados are considered less healthy than an asparteme packed yoghurt, does it have any credibility. But you don't have to eat the mugshots And muller lights. You can stick to full fat natural yoghurt and olive oil but use them out of your (cringe) "syn" allowance. There are a lot of advantages to Slimming Clubs - the discipline of turning up and being accountable is definitely motivating, it might help with portion control. And you are sure to meet some lovely people.

Although, I am not sure what my advise is worth as I went for a year and finished the same size as I started..... (did lose a stone and a half in the first three months, then spent the next nine putting it back on...)

Castasunder Sun 28-May-17 15:51:34

Oh cashel- you sound like me. I put on what I lost on SW. Was there any specific thing that held you back?x

MissBax Sun 28-May-17 15:55:39

It works. I've done it many times and never eaten a mugshot or mullerlight in my life! If it's done properly it's about eating real food cooked from scratch with limited fat. But then I'm a massive advocate of HCLF eating as it's what REAL food is made of IMO (fruit, veg, fibre etc)

alwaysonadiet1 Sun 28-May-17 16:16:48

I've recently started doing 3 days a week low carb high fat, 4 days no restriction except sensible portions and it seems to be working slowly but surely. Low carb has always worked for me but I get bored and don't stick to it for long enough and have been yoyoing for years. Tried 5 2 but too hungry! Quite excited by my new plan. Sorry not tried SW as I like to cook with more oil or butter but good luck whatever you do.

alwaysonadiet1 Sun 28-May-17 16:19:54

Also love wine and never cut it out for any diet. blush

CashelGirl Sun 28-May-17 16:23:08

No one thing, I hate being "on a diet" and I get bored. I use food as a comfort and a crutch. I am constantly looking for a quick fix, but with about 5 stone to lose there isn't one. So I start something like Slimming World (Lighter Life, the Atkins diet, the Durkan diet, Rosemary Conley hip and thigh....), throw myself into it 100%, loose a bit of weight, start to feel and look a bit better and after about three mo this get fed up and revert back to old habits.

But, I have managed to stop smoking (gave up over 8 years ago) so I am optimistic that I will be able to lose weight and have a healthier future. I do yoga regularly and am starting to use the gym and free weights a bit more.

Castasunder Sun 28-May-17 16:28:38

Thanks everyone.
Cashel- I'm also terrible at sticking to anything. Go at it full pelt and then lose motivation. My favourite thing is to buy shit tons of books and gadgets associated with the diet and then go cold soon after.

I also love cooking with oil and butter. I just find those sprays so disgusting and full of chemicals. I'm worried I wouldn't be able to cook my evening meal with enough oil or butter and still stay within plan? How much oil for example is allowed on healthy B for oil? One tablespoon?!

liquidrevolution Sun 28-May-17 16:31:53

You need to look at rebelfit on facebook...

Syns are just nonsense.

MissBax Sun 28-May-17 16:40:58

1 tbsp oil is 6 syns

P1nkP0ppy Sun 28-May-17 16:42:01

I did SW and hated the weigh-in and happy clappy approach, but it did seem to work at the time. I also know two Slimmer if the Year people who having lost a huge amount of weight have piled it all back on with interest which is really sad.
One has now re-lost 10 stone but feels they have to continue to go every week in order to maintain their weight.

Castasunder Sun 28-May-17 16:47:50

Jesus , 6 syns😒

Castasunder Sun 28-May-17 16:49:54

Rebelfit- exercise plan?

fruityb Sun 28-May-17 16:53:13

I lost weight doing it but found it quite restrictive. I get the cooking from scratch and using good ingredients but struggled with the syns and the mug shots and the muller lights. Fry light ruined my pans and I absolutely hated the meetings. I don't need therapy! I don't have a problem with food! I hated the over familiarity and the happy clapper crap!

I now just eat and cook with good ingredients and allow myself a glass of wine or a beer and stop worrying about it.

MissBax Sun 28-May-17 16:54:54

How many tbsp of oil would you normally use?!

ThreeForAPound Sun 28-May-17 16:55:31

'Syns' just kills it stone dead for me.

glenthebattleostrich Sun 28-May-17 17:01:29

Would you not be better suited to low carb boot camp on here? Or trying the blood sugar diet to kick start weight loss?

Personally, while I like some of the foods on SW (and did lose some weight on it) I can't get my head around how it is healthy. The obsession with sweetener and bloody mullerlights drives me nuts. I'd rather calorie count. And don't get me started on the bloody meetings, now Joan, why do you think you've put on 8lb this week. Well, Mildred, I had 5 take aways, 18 family sized bags of crisps and all the chocolate in co-op. But I don't understand how I've put so much on because I walked to the bus stop and ate 18000 muller lights. (perhaps a slight exaggeration but seriously, I'm all for support but have some accountability)

Groovee Sun 28-May-17 17:01:45

I use this 5 sprays for 0.5 syns. I only need 2 sprays. I rarely eat mugshots but have some in the cupboard for when I fancy noodles. Never eat Mullers as much nicer yoghurts out there.

I find I have to plan. I food shop to that plan. I cook most nights and most of my recipes are 30 minutes or less.

I do find if you have the right mindset you will do it!

Castasunder Sun 28-May-17 17:02:22

3-4, depending on what I'm cooking. I don't hold back - which is the essence of LCHF, however I do concede that I am not having much luck this way either

Castasunder Sun 28-May-17 17:02:36

I drink way too much wine for a start

Castasunder Sun 28-May-17 17:08:44

Oh I like the look of that real olive oil spray- thanks!

I've plugged away at LCHF for about 4/5 years. I slimmed down for a wedding last year but it took me 1 year to lose 1 stone- and I tried, I really tried. Didn't eat a potato or slice of bread for fucking year and still it took all that time. I was still fat at the end. I think my metabolism is fucked in all honesty but at the same time- I don't shy away from accountability and know my vices.
I was diagnosed as hypothyroid 6 months ago and they are currently trying to find a dose that works for me. I'm 38 and getting fatter every year though.

In my heart I know that the science of clean eating is the only viable way forward - and essentially LCH. Carbs give me the biggest stomach you've ever seen, it's disgusting. I guess my reason for toying with SW was for the discipline element and the weekly weigh in. I was also hoping someone could tell me there was a LCHF way to do it 😂

glenthebattleostrich Sun 28-May-17 17:08:50

Do you keep a food diary at all Castasunder? It was the turning point for me LCHFing. I could see where carb creep occurred and made me think about what I was eating. I'm also a little obsessive about reading research about low carb now.

MissBax Sun 28-May-17 17:10:41

4 TABLESPOONS of oil?!?! How many are you cooking for? That's ALOT.
I find group helps the weightloss massively (having been at at home member and group member), and I am easily irritated by people. The comments above are not something I'm familiar with at all - sounds like a Little Britain or Peter Kay comedy sketch and not at all like real life haha

Castasunder Sun 28-May-17 17:11:19

I didn't keep a food diary no- but I have a LCHF food app so could see it clearly at the end of the day. I did find it helpful- absolutely. It's just such an achingly slow process for me though, and I feel so down. SW often (not always) has more rapid results and I SO need a boost - hence toying with the idea of it.

Castasunder Sun 28-May-17 17:11:43

PS I went to group years ago and hated every minute!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now