Talk

Advanced search

Not sure if this is right for me? Sleep deprived mother

(10 Posts)
UrbanYokel Thu 20-Apr-17 05:43:35

Hi all
Went to my first slimming world meeting last night. The consultant and other group members seemed very nice. I am currently on maternity leave with 6 month old daughter, need to lose about 2 stone. Please can someone tell em if slimming world is worth it and achievable? Removing all the gimmicks a lot of it is just basic nutrition and common sense, which is good.

My concerns are:
Image therapy - thought this was support, discussion, recipe ideas etc but really it's just going through everyone's (about 21 people) losses and gains with a quick "can we help you" from the consultant. Appreciate there's a lot of people to get through. Nice in a way but very boring! I thought it would be more like a general support group/discussion? I don't really want to pay £5 a week just to get weighed so accept this is part of the experience but it's disappointing.

Food diAry/categorisation - understand the bAsic principles syns etc but am I really going to have time to plan weigh and record (I don't understand the diAry sheet either) with a demanding young baby? I understand why you share this with consultant every week but the diary sheet is weird and I feel it's policing a bit. Can I just keep a normal food diary? Also am worried about not being able to afford the food.

Is it possible to transfer group membership to online membership?

Don't want to be whingey sorry. Honest feedback would be really appreciated.

Many thanks

happydays2017 Thu 20-Apr-17 05:58:29

I don't think it's for you, if you didn't feel inspired by the first session, it will only go downhill , save your money and try something else, I am finding Dr Michael Moseley's book 'The Fast Diet' has helped me shed a lot of weight and feel back in control.

supermum87 Thu 20-Apr-17 06:07:17

I joined slimming world when I had two under two & the baby wasn't a great sleeper.

I found slimming world was better because I didn't have time to weigh out food etc. I think preparation is key. But once you get into it there are lots of quick and easy meals and lots of ready/packet soups etc you can have that are still on plan.

I never stay to image therapy. Think it's a complete waste of time.

Groovee Thu 20-Apr-17 06:54:22

I only stay to image therapy as I have a nice group of people to chat to etc.

I found on my early days planning is the key. Most of my recipes don't take longer than 30 minutes to cook which is what I need. But I have found a love of cooking again.

The diary is too small for me but I filled it in for the 4 weeks. Then got one off amazon which I prefer as it separates in to breakfast/lunch/dinner

Linda131963 Thu 20-Apr-17 07:48:24

Hope you give it a go , seems hard at first but soon becomes a habit . Cost for shopping seems to depend where you shop x

Linda131963 Thu 20-Apr-17 07:51:25

Image therapy not for everyone ! I have tried and failed , l pay , weigh and go ! The threat of the scales seems to keep me on track more than weighing myself , tried but as soon as l had a bad week l kept saying l would try again next week and not even weigh myself ! Everyone different , some folks love going to class . X

OwlinaTree Thu 20-Apr-17 07:58:34

Probably depends on your leader. Ours does the round the room thing sometimes but then other discussions on other days. We are also encouraged to join in chat when people are struggling etc.

OwlinaTree Thu 20-Apr-17 08:00:01

I've been doing SW since my baby was 6 weeks. Now she's 8 months and I've lost 2.5 stone so yes its doable.

UrbanYokel Thu 20-Apr-17 18:28:46

Thanks all for your feedback x
I am definitely going to give it a chance, have started today wish me luck!

LavenderRains Thu 20-Apr-17 19:15:37

Good luck! I don't stay to many meetings nowadays as it gets a bit boring. (I started in oct)
The threat of standing on the scales is enough usually to keep me in control.
It does take some planning but I enjoy that aspect of it, but I haven't got a small baby smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now