Talk

Advanced search

Torn between, "i need to loose weight & this must be how i'm meant to be!"

(9 Posts)
dangle90 Fri 10-Feb-17 12:23:06

So kind of a rant really!
So in summer I did slimming world from home, lost about 11lb not a massive amount but I got to 11st which I felt confident and comfortable with... stopped diet... put almost 2st on! So now I'm so fed up, I want to loose weight and feel better about myself but absolutely sick of this constant battle and knowing when I loose it I'll have to diet forever to maintain it! So one day I'm really determined to be good and I am, then the next I just go off the rails just thinking I'm meant to be this size!! angry (im a size 14/16 and had gotten down to a size 12)

OwlinaTree Fri 10-Feb-17 13:07:12

I feel for you. The thing is sw is a healthy eating plan rather than a diet. So when you reach your target you need to keep eating the sw way to maintain, or do something like calorie counting to ensure you don't over eat. If you go back to eating how you did before you will put all the weight back on.

When I get to target I'm hoping that if I stick to it during the week but relax a bit at the weekend I'll be able to maintain.

dangle90 Fri 10-Feb-17 13:24:08

It's just so frustrating as I'm even more now than before sw! So I started sw again and can't shift it at all! I've started back at the gym and think I'm just going to try calorie counting from now! How are you doing with sw? I just wish I could keep my motivation! X

OliviaStabler Fri 10-Feb-17 13:30:18

If you are overweight for no medical or physical reason, then the change in your eating and exercising habits needs to be permanent.

You can lose all the weight you want on a 'diet' but if you go back to eating as before and the activity level as before, the weight will pile back on. I know, been there and done that a number of times.

I have started cutting back on carbs and sugar to start to lose some of my excess weight. I am also back at the gym regularly now. Founds Davina's new book full of really good recipes and food ideas. Has made me feel a lot better in myself.

Good luck.

Msqueen33 Fri 10-Feb-17 13:39:15

I could have written this. Lost two odd stone last year got very lazy and have piled two stone plus an extra one as a friend. I feel disgusting and I'm sure people must look at me and think I'm a disgusting and lazy pig. My size 16s are feeling a bit too tight.

MirabelleTree Fri 10-Feb-17 13:42:31

I'm done with things like SW and WW having lost and put on again all my life and now have stacks to lose. This time I'm just calorie counting and balancing it with calories expended through a Fitbit. Things like My Fitness Pal and Nutracheck make calorie counting so much easier now, you can scan barcodes then enter the weight and all sorted.

Generally I'm eating much healthier and have cut down on sugar but if I want something like a takeaway I'll have it having adjusted what I've eaten throughout the day, or the next day, or exercise. There's none of that on /off plan stuff which I found quite destructive.

Who knows if it will work long term and stay off but I'm hopeful. I was worried that weight loss would be slower now I'm closer to 50 but found that I've lost 29lbs in 13 weeks so far versus 28lbs on 19 weeks on SW when I was 40. This way is much easier and just sort of slots in with life and I'm feeling fitter as exercising more.

dangle90 Fri 10-Feb-17 13:43:02

I know it's cliche and all overweight people say this but my diet isn't actually bad, always have home cooked meals, with plenty of veggies, walk for atleast an hour a day with the dog, have an active job, when I've been at my slimmest it was when I was going to the gym 3/4 times a week and not dieting, just find it hard to do that with the shifts I work now. But like I say, think I'm going to just concentrate on calorie counting and getting to the gym more when I can, it's just hard work and you get fed up with it, but nothing comes easy I suppose! Thanks for the advice ladies x

dangle90 Fri 10-Feb-17 13:44:45

Nice to know I'm not the only one msqueen! I just can't believe how much I piled on after stopping slimming world! It's crazy!

dangle90 Fri 10-Feb-17 13:46:31

Mirabelletree, well done that weight loss is great! I've got a Fitbit too I find it really helps when I do challenges with people, makes me want to get my steps in! I have MyFitnessPal too just need to keep my motivation to keep adding things to it!
I'm such a bad comfort eater though! Need to cut back on my portions I just love food too much grinblush x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now