Talk

Advanced search

Only lost 0.5lb in my first week and I'm gutted

(23 Posts)
shitwithsugaron Thu 09-Feb-17 17:42:23

Just that really. I thought I'd done so so well.

hearyoume Thu 09-Feb-17 17:44:00

So did I! I was really down about it but I've just had my stone award (started late Nov so not bad considering Christmas etc). Stick with it.

BelafonteRavenclaw Thu 09-Feb-17 17:46:20

I lost 1lb and was gutted. 5 weeks in and I've just collected my 1st stone award. Stick at it, next week should be more positive.

fizzybootlace Thu 09-Feb-17 17:51:22

Well done - it's in the right direction!

I always hear about these big losses on week one but it's never happened to me! I think it's mostly water loss where people who don't normally eat much protein start SW and eggs are the new BFF. Slow and steady is good. I only lose half a stone a month but I can be a little lax at the weekend cake wine

I also think it takes the body 2-3 weeks to realise their has been a major change in diet and there are also monthly fluctuations to consider. Keep going smile

user1486613612 Thu 09-Feb-17 17:57:40

If you keep up 0.5 lb per week, you'll reach your target in no time! Better slowly and steadily, than to lose a lot and then regain even more. smile

BiggerBoatNeeded Thu 09-Feb-17 18:04:37

Also, if you hadn't done it it could have been 1-2lbs more on your original weight. Slow and steady is good and I'm sure it will pick. Stick with it and good luck.

Groovee Thu 09-Feb-17 21:54:31

I had a slow start in 2005 and it was a few weeks down the line that it suddenly came as big losses.

shitwithsugaron Fri 10-Feb-17 08:50:50

Thing is I just don't know where I'm going wrong, I'm so hungry between meals but work as a checkout cashier so I really can't snack at work (one 15 min break that is a mad rush to shovel stuff down my gob!!)

How can I up my speed food intake?

Groovee Fri 10-Feb-17 09:02:55

Are you eating enough protein?

shitwithsugaron Fri 10-Feb-17 09:17:20

If I'm honest probably not, no. Turkey steaks for tea tonight though.

BarbaraofSeville Fri 10-Feb-17 10:26:17

Are you eating enough veg, drinking plenty of water and weighing all your healthy extras and synned foods?

Keep going - if you do the plan properly, it does work. There are all manner of reasons why weight loss is not linear and you may find you've lost nearly half a stone when you get weighed next week.

QueenOnAPlate Fri 10-Feb-17 10:50:20

I find my losses often reflect the week before rather than the current week. Water fluctuations can make a big difference too.

00100001 Fri 10-Feb-17 15:29:46

Do some meal plans smile

Have things like boiled eggs and fruit for your quick lunch breaks

For extra speed, I shove it in things like omelettes - put onions, peppers, spinach etc

Also make soups/stews and bung them in smile

Use things like butternut squash for mash

keep going - 1/2lb is YOUR achievement, take it and run with it, don't compare yourselves to others. smile

wingingitmomma Fri 10-Feb-17 15:34:04

My OH stayed exactly the same during his first week he is mega disheartened he's going to stick at it though I've heard the weight loss in the first week isn't great

00100001 Fri 10-Feb-17 15:35:15

Well, to be contrary, my DH lost 7lbs in his first week shock

00100001 Fri 10-Feb-17 15:35:23

<unhelpful>

OwlinaTree Fri 10-Feb-17 17:09:26

Everyone's different though. I stuck to plan last week and lost 1/2lb. Others were saying they were pleased they lost 1lb as they had had a big weekend of drinking etc. So it's very frustrating at times!

Littlepig8834 Sat 11-Feb-17 09:19:15

I lost nothing in my first week, I am so annoyed. I was being a good slimming worlder and writing everything down. I've kept between 5-10 syns a day, weighed all HEs and still nothing.

My consultant was positive though and did say that not everyone has big losses at first and some people take longer to adjust to the new diet.

I was still pissed off though!

hairypaws Sat 11-Feb-17 13:27:48

Usually my first week is a let down, I had a bigger loss this time but now on week 2 and only lost 1lb. I know where you're coming from. The thing I took away from image therapy today is that we should focus on our loss over the month, rather than week by week. Keep a monthly note so you can look back on it to keep you motivated, that's what I'm going to try to do.

Good luck this week, stay on track, don't blow it because of the disappointment- I've done that loads and it just makes you feel even worse.

shitwithsugaron Sun 12-Feb-17 08:10:20

I've probably already blown it by having pizza yesterday...but at least when I don't lose anything or even put on weight by next Thursday I'll know why blush

BarbaraofSeville Sun 12-Feb-17 08:49:41

Eating one pizza won't stop you losing fat if you stuck to the plan the rest of the week.

Even if it was a huge pizza that was 2000 calories, that was probably only 1500 calories over what you would have eaten for dinner anyway and that will account for less than half a pound of weight - based on 3500 calories per pound of fat lost/gained.

However, pizza is the perfect storm of fatty salty carby deliciousness so will cause all your glycogen stores to be topped up, so you may weigh more due to all the excess fluid, which should be used up over a couple of days or so. Which is why people appear to gain a couple of pounds after eating pizza.

One pizza won't ruin your diet but you can minimise damage by eating a smallish amount rather than stuffing yourself with loads and maybe having salad with it so it feels like you ate more and making sure you stuck to the plan the rest of the time.

IllBeAtTheBarIfYouNeedMe Sun 12-Feb-17 08:52:53

This photo/meme thing really helps me on weeks I've only lost a tiny amount. I lost 7st last year so just keep going. Every little helps smile

hairypaws Sun 12-Feb-17 09:55:39

Great pic Bar, I've just set that as my lock screen picture to be a constant reminder.

Interesting fact re pizza, thanks for info.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now