Talk

Advanced search

Going to a restaurant tomorrow, what's best?

(10 Posts)
PinkFluff2 Wed 01-Feb-17 12:20:33

I'm going out for dinner tomorrow and I've been looking at the menu (it's not a mainstream restaurant) I was thinking of having soup and a sandwich, or gammon steak with egg and asking for potatoes instead of chips.

Which would be better? I don't want to have boring soup if it will be full of hidden syns! But I know the egg and gammon will probably be fried in oil confused I've done so well to stick to it so far but restaurants are my weakness!!!!!

Branleuse Wed 01-Feb-17 12:24:46

sometimes restaurants have a menu online, so you can decide in advance.

I dont think ham egg and potatoes will be better for you than a soup, but i know slimming world can be a bit weird with whats ok and whats not

NapQueen Wed 01-Feb-17 12:25:36

I'd have grilled steak or grilled salmon with a jacket potato and salad.

Branleuse Wed 01-Feb-17 12:26:05

sorry this came up in active topics, I didnt see it was a slimming world board, but still, without seeing the actual restaurant or the menu, its hard to guess what might be ok x

Sirzy Wed 01-Feb-17 12:27:52

Soup you would need to be careful of cream etc being added. Sandwich bread would be syns and often they would have butter on.

If you are wanting to stay on plan then like pp said steak or gammon and jacket potato is probably best.

Sirzy Wed 01-Feb-17 12:28:25

Or if it's just for a dinner look at the jacket potatos they have - jacket and beans would be free.

alibongo5 Wed 01-Feb-17 12:33:33

I don't know about restaurant sandwiches but I know supermarket ones are laden with syns! For instance a Tesco tuna and cucumber is 19.5!!! So I'd be careful about soup and a sandwich - maybe just have bread with soup instead. But I'd just go for anything that is grilled rather than fried served with veg or salad and boiled or jacket spuds. And I would try not to have any other syns that day ideally (I'm not very good at practising what I preach!). I think it's a balance between enjoying your meal and trying to stay a little on plan.

pandorawithtreaclecolouredhair Wed 01-Feb-17 13:03:32

I would have whatever I wanted from the menu, but "be good either side" of the meal out.
So, I would keep my syns on the lower side on other days, and have plenty of SP meals.
You might find that you decide to choose lower syn options after all.

Groovee Fri 03-Feb-17 06:42:33

'D probably do flexible syns and eat what I fancied but 100% on plan the rest of the week

BasinHaircut Fri 03-Feb-17 09:56:26

A steak if it's on offer would probably be a safe bet. If it comes with chips see if you can swap it for a vegetable side dish such as green beans/broccoli/roasted veg.

I'd steer clear of anything in a sauce unless it's tomato based.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now