Talk

Advanced search

Starting SW with ds (12)

(14 Posts)
aleC4 Thu 29-Dec-16 10:31:36

We have to bite the bullet.
I have struggled with my weight pretty much ever since he was born. I have done SW before and had some success but, as always, lost my way and piled it all back on.
Ds was never big as a child but over the last couple of years he has started to get bigger. At first I put it down to his age, changes in his body etc but we can't ignore it now.
He is starting to get down about it but has zero willpower - wonder where he gets that from!
He plays rugby so is big built and he actually hides his size fairly well. However we weighed ourselves yesterday and I was horrified at what he was. sad
I had said I was going to go back to SW and he has asked to come. I wasn't sure at first but having read their literature on 11-15 year olds it all sound sensible so we are going to give it a go, starting next Tuesday.
Hopefully we can be each other's motivation and keep each other on the straight and narrow.
Wish us luck, I think it will be a steep learning curve for ds.

Welshgirl40 Thu 29-Dec-16 10:39:07

I think that's fab, and you'll both be great support for each other. Well done!

aleC4 Thu 29-Dec-16 11:16:05

My main worry wrt ds is if he doesn't see results straight away. I think it might be hard to keep him motivated as he loves food and a treat from his point of view always revolves around food.
His dad left me in august totally out of the blue and ds has struggled emotionally with it all. I do feel he has probably eaten for comfort and I see that as partly my fault.
I am thinking of buying a treadmill for the house. I would like to start couch to 5k again but struggle to get out often enough with two kids to run around after. With a treadmill I could do that without leaving the house but ds could also use it to up his exercise, even if he only walks on it.
It doesn't help that dd is a gymnastic beanpole who can eat what she likes.....

Shockers Thu 29-Dec-16 11:19:39

My sister's workplace paid for her to go to SW. She has lost 2 1/2 stone very steadily and looks amazing... healthy, vibrant and youthful.

I'm really impressed.

Welshgirl40 Thu 29-Dec-16 12:25:43

I think a treadmill sounds a great idea. Go for it!

Welshgirl40 Thu 29-Dec-16 12:28:55

When you stick to the diet, which I'm sure you will, you'll be setting a brilliant example to both your children of overcoming adversity, and a traumatic period of time, by sheer willpower and grit. That kind of behavioural example will be a fantastic tool to have for them as an adult.

Welshgirl40 Thu 29-Dec-16 12:30:03

*them to have. Spoonerism day!

AutumnDragon Thu 29-Dec-16 12:36:12

My DS did this alongside me and lost loads. We now have the opposite problem of he can't keep weight on! He loves the new eating habits better than the old, and feels rough if he eats crap.

He saw a change quite early on, men always lose faster than women and his age also helps, he's a few years older than your son.

Unfortunately, you do need willpower to make it work but if you can stick to it religiously for a month or so it does become second nature.

DS was really pleased we did this together and his self-esteem has rocketed.

Good luck to you both.

OFFFS Thu 29-Dec-16 14:21:22

Your DS really doesn't need to go to Fat Club with you. You'll make all the changes and that will work for him. I love SW because I can adapt all my cooking and make it SW friendly so the kids don't notice they are eating less fat and sugar. He's already active so he could up his activity.

I know someone who lost 3 stone this year and her 13 DS slimmed down as a by-product. They are delighted. Whilst you are still in charge of what comes into the house and what is cooked he will automatically benefit. You don't need to pay twice over!

Good luck with it

aleC4 Thu 29-Dec-16 14:59:37

You don't pay for 11-15 year olds, it is free with a paying adult.
TBH it was his decision so I want to support him all the way. I know if I stick to it he will benefit, it's just the thought that if he goes he might take it more seriously.
I have read up about SW approach to children and it seems the emphasis is on making healthy choices rather than losing weight.

Northernmum100 Thu 29-Dec-16 18:08:44

I think it is a great idea! It is a sustainable way of eating healthily and sets up good habits which he will hopefully keep up. Far better than the slimming shakes a friend of my daughter has been put on by her mum. Apparantly, size 10 at 16 yo is too bigconfused....

Good luck to you bothsmile

aleC4 Thu 29-Dec-16 22:29:49

So tonight I have spent ages planning our first week's meals, starting on Sunday.
I had to get all my old boobs out to remember about syn values and healthy extras.
My plan is to keep all my meal planners. Then if I have a particularly good week I can follow it again!

dannyglick Mon 02-Jan-17 16:32:08

What a great mum you sound, OP.
My DS is 27 and living away from home, but I originally joined SW when he was at home, aged 12 ( been a target member for years now).
DS did not join as a member, but definitely benefited from me cooking SW meals for the family: he was prone to weight gain, and I think this helped keep it in check and laid the foundation for the healthy cooking and eating that he practises now.
Good luck to you both: you have lots of nice meals and success to look forward to, and I'm sure you'll both be made very welcome at your local group.
Your DS may be inspired by the Young Slimmer success stories in the SW magazine and on the website.

startagainagain Wed 18-Jan-17 19:14:39

I joined SW exactly a year ago with my 12 yo DS as a Free to Go member...I have lost 2 stone and now target woohoo, so good luck OP!

My DS did enjoy and everyone was great, but he was the only young boy... and as I cook SW food, he just does that now.

Also although SW free to go is great, it's worth thinking about whether his build and age (pre growth spurt/puberty?) might be an influence....? I had gone by the NHS guidelines for weight from primary school which said he was 'overweight'....but when we recently saw a gastroenterologist consultant she was furious as actually she thought he was fine and was very cross about standard BMI's/weight for kids if they are outside of 'normal' height. My DS is 12 and 5'8" already and hasn't gone through puberty yet!

My 15 y/o DD is 5'11" and a stick (diff build to DS which he finds v annoying) she eats everything plus sugar and sweets without putting on an ounce....but I too was like that until my 30's and then found it very hard to train myself to make good choices having never had to. So with DS, I felt it was better to focus on those better choices? Good luck I love SW!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now