Anyone yoyo ?

(13 Posts)
Toberich Wed 09-Nov-16 22:49:53

Hi I'm in SW about 2 months & am only down a few lbs when I should be down at least a stone now (target is about a stone).

I switched to SP to try and make a difference & even tho exercise WAY up, booze way down etc & was really good all week I only lost 2lbs v disappointed..
Also group & leader is new & the group seems to take forever to get around relatively few ppl. Finding it very tedious & tbh considering giving up just doing it on my own...few other funny things - leader sends texts looking for "help" each week (she has 2 helpers & a family member taking in the cash incredibly slowly). Honestly feels like she's doing us a favour. Also takes an age between ppl at the meeting literally silence for a full minute or more. After 90 minutes this is annoying to say the least. I need the motivation of a meeting but it's too boring- there is some attempt at taking points etc but not much enthusiasm for it. Slimmer of the week always goes to the same person !!! And the raffle is fairly lame & just feels like a way of extracting more cash (as well as asking for free help). Not sure why she can't take the cash herself, her family member really struggled with the technology. Twice I have brought my DD who is really quiet & good but those weeks she left me till last. It's just too much time to take up watching her trying to work the tablet !! Also wondering what ppl think about bring free food for the slimmer of the week prize - I mean I have to budget tightly & have zero chance of ever winning as I'll never have a big loss.

I think I'm cranky to hunger sorry !! Not sure whether to keep paying as its my first proper week of losing anything since the beginning.

SoozeyHoozey Thu 10-Nov-16 07:12:16

Find a different group?

Toberich Thu 10-Nov-16 08:03:12

Yeah I might try another one just not many times suit me. Or I might just weigh in future or do it at home.

tabulahrasa Thu 10-Nov-16 08:11:27

She doesn't get the raffle money - it pays for the raffle prizes and the teas and coffees.

She also can't do the till herself as that's when the new member's talk is.

Slimmer of the week...I take something when I remember, I don't others, but it's nothing expensive, an orange or something is fine.

Can't help you with how slow she is though smile

Jellyshoeshurtmyfeet Thu 10-Nov-16 08:14:39

I started at a new group with a new leader back in March. It took a few weeks to get in the swing but it's a fantastic group. They really do need the helpers to keep it going and it might help you stuck to it if you were a bit more involved. They definitely don't mind if you can't help though, people are busy. I often forget to take something for the free food basket but there's no judging. Maybe take a contribution every two weeks? Or take one banana? That would be about 20p. I yo-yo too but finally got slimmer of the week last month. If I can win it so can you! SW isn't for everyone but I'm glad I've stuck with it.

Toberich Thu 10-Nov-16 08:29:42

Yes I know she can't do it herself but the family member is very young & very slow. She has one other person watching her who would just be much better to do it altogether. I'm not the only one complaining the girl behind me in the Q said she was too slow & she was considering moving. Fair point on the helping out however I am paying €9 a week so really I feel it should be treated as a business & not run by volunteers ! Also I lost my book one day at the venue (left it behind as was in a rush) and no sign of it the following week apparently you have to now pay €14 for a new one. I was surprised at how demotivated I was without the book ! Eventually I got a free one from a friend but it's another thing that annoyed me.
Teas and coffees should just be part of the room cost which is included in the business model.

Jellyshoeshurtmyfeet Thu 10-Nov-16 08:39:50

€14 for a replacement book seems steep! I think the problem with the business model is it doesn't produce much profit for the leader at first. I remember my consultant telling us that one week she made £1.65! Try a different group, you can go to a different group as a visiting member so you don't have to decide to leave before going to another group. Then you could tell whether it's SW that's not for you or just that particular group.

Bambooshoots14 Thu 10-Nov-16 09:07:06

My first group was great and never asked for volunteers and did no raffle etc

Next group was similar to yours, wanted volunteers, pay for raffle ticket, take something for raffle and took forever. I quit as I agree it's a business that I'm paying tk help me lose weight, not a volunteers social evening

Toberich Thu 10-Nov-16 09:24:09

Good idea - tbh I think the SW method is brilliant & I love the recipes I'm just finding the meetings awkward. I might try and find a lunchtime near work.

Toberich Thu 10-Nov-16 09:26:55

Bamboo I'm glad I'm not the only one, after all if I kept it up its €468 for the year which is a gym membership. Not replacing my book surprised me I would have been willing to pay up to €8 but not €14. I mean the lost income opportunity if I leave because of it is much more than that ! The leader is very nice but takes too long on each person & seems stuck for words sometimes too. In the beginning ppl chimed in but now I think they're also fed up.

tabulahrasa Thu 10-Nov-16 10:44:07

" I mean the lost income opportunity if I leave because of it is much more than that"

It might not be, they have to pay that price to slimming world to replace the books...and how much they earn depends on the size of group.

So if she's new and it's a small group, she'll be on 25% and has to pay rent and expenses.

If you're not happy with how she's doing the actual group talk bit, try a different one, but stuff like being charged for replacement books and selling raffle tickets will be in every group.

Toberich Thu 10-Nov-16 13:55:33

Yes I think I will ah I'm just venting & assessing the value at the moment 🙂

WatchingFromTheWings Thu 10-Nov-16 15:45:22

I'd definitely try a different group. Mine is really good and I've lost a stone and a half.

But I tend to yo-yo.....2lb off, one on, one off, half on.....repeat. But it's coming off, slowly!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now