Talk

Advanced search

To quark or not to quark?

(17 Posts)
Blankiefan Sun 09-Oct-16 21:32:38

I'm 4 weeks into SW - almost a stone off so going well. Am trying to use it to eat well rather than eating everything I'm "allowed" to as I would previously have done (I've only done WW in the past when I counted every last point and saved them for curly wurlys. Now I'm just trying to eat well- with a bit of structure).

Anyway, in avoiding "fake" stuff, I've swerved quark. For those doing SW with a similar philosophy, what are your quark-related thoughts?

AnnaForbes Sun 09-Oct-16 21:39:42

Similar place to you. I use my syns on wine and don't stress too much if I go over. I skip meals sometimes for convenience not for calorie control. I try to steer away from the additive laden stuff such as muller lights and mugshots. I stumble along and have lost 10.5 lbs in 3 weeks.

tabulahrasa Sun 09-Oct-16 23:37:41

Quark isn't fake stuff though...well not unless you have a hugely different definition than me?

Though I only use plain stuff, do you mean the flavoured ones?

Geepee71 Wed 12-Oct-16 21:30:36

Personally I like quark, I buy the plain stuff and add flavoured essence a bit of sweetener (not synned) and mix together. I occasionally add an options sachet for 2 Syns. I really like it, but it's a bit love or hate.

MilkandAssal Thu 13-Oct-16 08:56:02

I don't particularly love it, but I've used it for making a carbonara of sorts, and it was fine. I can't eat it as it comes though, it's quite gross.

ftw Thu 13-Oct-16 09:02:02

I'd never eat it on its own, but it's a good substitute for cream, Marscapone etc in pasta sauces.

It's not fake, it's just not very yummy cheese!

calzone Sun 16-Oct-16 22:37:37

I like Quark very much.

It's versatile and fab for dips. I invented Quarmite as a dip for crudités.

icandoscience Mon 17-Oct-16 09:03:49

I'm another one who doesn't consider quark 'fake stuff' - the plain one is just a skimmed milk soft cheese, no worse than far free plain yogurt. It's a really mainstream dairy product in Germany.

That said, personally I dont really like quark! I use fat free Greek yogurt in cooking, that works better for me.

SugarMiceInTheRain Mon 17-Oct-16 09:07:34

Surely quark is just a fat free soft cheese, like plain fromage frais but thicker? When we lived in Germany it was all over the place, in dozens of flavours, like yogurt. I find it useful for making all sorts of things and use it as a substitute for sour cream when we do Mexican.

BasinHaircut Mon 17-Oct-16 09:08:11

I use it instead of yoghurt where SW recipes call for it. I cannot abide yoghurt in savoury dishes but find that quark doesn't really flavour anything, just gives the texture I'm after.

calilark Mon 17-Oct-16 09:12:38

Yeah I think quark is fine, its not a fake thing. I sometimes use fat free Greek yog though, as I prefer the texture. I have mine with fruit & honey. I've tried it mixed with an egg as a sub for bechamel sauce - thumbs down from me!

CariadJohn Tue 18-Oct-16 12:19:49

I couldn't be without quark! I use it with eggs to make quiches for breakfast or lunch, in cabonaras, mix with pesto and pasta, and with an options hot choc sachet for something sweet! I don't consider it fake at all.

InfiniteSheldon Sat 29-Oct-16 07:14:51

Quarmite? I'm definitely trying that I had marmite roast potatoes last week they were lush and I put marmite in the mash instead of mustard on last night's cumberland pie.

ALemonyPea Sat 29-Oct-16 07:20:53

Quark is great with mash and I use it as a white sauce substitute on lasagne.

fdp86 Sat 29-Oct-16 07:54:22

I love Quark. I have it on SP days when you can't have yoghurt as its full of protein!

InfiniteSheldon Sat 29-Oct-16 07:55:28

I love it swirled into soup it ups the protein and tastes much nicer than yogurt.

AnnaForbes Sat 29-Oct-16 12:51:33

I use it with smoked salmon in a sandwich. My substitute for salmon and cream cheese bagels. Lots of lemon and black pepper, it's really nice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now