Talk

Advanced search

Care to share your best SW freezer meals

(15 Posts)
Pitapotamus Sat 08-Oct-16 16:35:55

I've realised that most of my failings on slimming world are through not having enough time to cook from scratch. By the time I've got home from work and got the kids into bed it's already about 7.15/30 and I'm too starving to cool a meal from scratch at that point.

I'm thinking of batch cooking on the weekends and freezing in portion sizes so that I can take a meal out of the freezer in the morning and just hear it up once the kids are in bed.

The classic chilli con carne is clearly a good candidate for that so that is on the hob cooking right now! Has anyone tried freezing the chicken curry or the beef curry that's on the SW website? Any other suggestions would be most appreciated as well. I'm looking for completely free meals!

Buttwing Sat 08-Oct-16 17:38:36

I do this it makes life so much easier things I make are-

Chilli
Hairy bikers chicken madras
Chicken and bacon casserole (bit like coq au vin without the vin!)
Beef casserole
Bolognese
Plain tomato pasta sauce (then add stuff when I heat it up prawns, roasted veg etc..)
Chicken, chickpea and chorizo casserole (a couple of syns per portion but so worth it)
Shepards pie
Portions of mash
Soups I've made lentil, tomato and bacon is really good

There are probably more but those are the ones I've done recently.

Buttwing Sat 08-Oct-16 17:38:47

I do this it makes life so much easier things I make are-

Chilli
Hairy bikers chicken madras
Chicken and bacon casserole (bit like coq au vin without the vin!)
Beef casserole
Bolognese
Plain tomato pasta sauce (then add stuff when I heat it up prawns, roasted veg etc..)
Chicken, chickpea and chorizo casserole (a couple of syns per portion but so worth it)
Shepards pie
Portions of mash
Soups I've made lentil, tomato and bacon is really good

There are probably more but those are the ones I've done recently.

Buttwing Sat 08-Oct-16 17:39:08

Sorry the app is playing up again!

talulahbeige Sat 08-Oct-16 18:08:47

Have you tried a microwave fish steamer, a nice piece if salmon in the steamer for 4 minutes with rice or pasta and a big salad, delicious, easy and quick

buttwig, I'd be interested in your chicken, chickpea and chorizo dish if you could share it please?

Buttwing Sun 09-Oct-16 08:59:49

Sure tabulah

Pack of chicken skinless and boneless chicken thighs
100 grams on chorizo (6.5 syns)
Tin of chickpeas
A couple of jar roasted peppers
One onion
Two cloves garlic
Tin of tomatoes
Tablespoon of Tom purée
3/4 pint chicken stock
Teaspoon of smoked paprika
Teaspoon chilli powder (optional or add a bit more if you like it spicy)
Tesco red wine stockpot (used this last time but not essential)

Brown the chicken, onion and garlic
Add chopped chorizo for a couple of minutes
Put it all in a casserole dish
Add all the other ingredients except stock
Then I usually put enough stock in to cover the ingredient usually between 1/2 a pint and 3/4
Cook on 150 for a couple of hours just keep and eye on it it need to reduce down by about a third to get a really tasty sauce.

You could reduce the amount of chorizo but if you use a large pack of chicken thighs it easily makes four greedy portions so less than 2 syns a portion.
I didn't have any chickpeas in last time so used cannalini beans which was just as good if not nicer.

It's by far the nicest thing I've made for a while on slimming world.

IntelligentPutty Mon 10-Oct-16 08:38:21

These all sound like lovely ideas.
How does the freezing work. Do you freeze and the defrost to eat when you need. Or do you just cook straight from freezer.
Probably sounds really dense question!!

Buttwing Mon 10-Oct-16 11:56:32

I freeze it in meal sized portions, then get it out when I want it and nuke it in the microwave.

IntelligentPutty Mon 10-Oct-16 22:21:34

Sounds yummy. And how long in the microwave.
We are so paranoid about food poisoning.!!!

Buttwing Tue 11-Oct-16 14:06:41

I usually do it for 3 mins at a time, so 3 mins the check and stir then 3 more until it's hot. Just make sure it's piping hot and it will be fine.

Pitapotamus Tue 11-Oct-16 23:46:09

Thanks v much! I will experiment with these. That's interesting that you nuke from frozen - my other failing is that I forget to take the food out of the freezer in time to defrost it. I'm also paranoid about food poisoning! I may try it next time I forget to defrost overnight!

ninnypoo Sat 15-Oct-16 13:38:02

Buttwing where did you get the chorizo syn value from? The app says 12 syns for 100g...

Buttwing Sun 16-Oct-16 10:45:32

Ninny in my book, but I looked in my older book. When I checked the current book it's 10.5blush sorry about that!! It must have changed.
You could reduce the amount down a bit.
I will ask my consultant the correct syn value on weds as it's odd that it varies between the app and book.

ninnypoo Sun 16-Oct-16 13:03:00

Ah ok! That's annoying that it's changed- might go by the older book as I love chorizo wink

ShabbyNat Mon 17-Oct-16 14:17:31

I love the BBQ Pulled Pork recipe, I printed it off the SW site online.
It`s the one you cook in a hot pot for 10-12 hours, it just falls off the bone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now