Talk

Advanced search

Baked beans , I'm confused

(19 Posts)
Mummyme1987 Wed 28-Sep-16 18:05:03

Ok I'm trying to do Sw from home. Did it years ago but trying the new EE plan. But baked beans are confusing me. Do they count in the 1/3 superfree?

ALemonyPea Wed 28-Sep-16 18:10:18

They're more speedy, they're just free. They are a P (protein) foods though.

ALemonyPea Wed 28-Sep-16 18:11:36

They're not even.

SlinkyB Wed 28-Sep-16 18:18:28

I've recently rejoined. Last time I went was around 10 years ago. It has changed quite a bit, as I'm sure baked beans used to be super free or something, now they're not even Speed food.

I've attached a photo of the most recent book. It shows they're high in fibre and protein, but just a normal 'free' food. Hth.

Mummyme1987 Wed 28-Sep-16 18:35:07

I was confused as I saw a slimming world meal planner had beans on toast as a complete meal.

Mummyme1987 Wed 28-Sep-16 18:38:28

No 1/3 superfree? Confused.

Mummyme1987 Wed 28-Sep-16 18:39:33

It's in may/June's mag

ALemonyPea Wed 28-Sep-16 18:48:05

Yes, see what you mean. My consultant would say, 1/3 of your daily food should be speedy foods if you can't manage for one meal.

Mummyme1987 Wed 28-Sep-16 18:55:16

Just seemed strange to me to have that as a good breakfast, that's why I thought baked beans had changed.

ChessieFL Wed 28-Sep-16 18:58:28

The SW guidance is that 1/3 of your meal should be speed foods where it makes sense. Where the meal is something like beans on toast you don't have to add speed food to it. However where possible you would try to choose an alternative meal that does include speed. Although you could replace some of the beans with tinned mushrooms.

emwithme Wed 28-Sep-16 19:02:36

Baked beans used to be free on green, syns or a HEB on red.

Then they were superfree.

Now they are a P (for Protein) but not an S (for speed) so you can have them on an SP day but don't count towards your 1/3 speed.

The point of the 1/3 speed is to basically restrict the calorific intake of the rest of your plate (which is why following a plate of pasta with a bowl of fruit salad doesn't work as well as having a starter of a bowl of speedy vegetable soup) rather than adding to it, so where it's something like beans on toast where the meal is limited by the fact that it's beans on toast (I get bored halfway through) then I wouldn't add speed to it (although I'd probably much a handful of cherry tomatoes while tutting at the toaster for taking ages)

Mummyme1987 Wed 28-Sep-16 20:11:45

Thank you 😊

Mummyme1987 Wed 28-Sep-16 20:13:16

Having real problems with breakfasts that I fancy each day. Beans on toast may work.

Mummyme1987 Wed 28-Sep-16 20:14:22

Breakfast ideas please?

Bumpinthenight Wed 28-Sep-16 20:24:46

Fruit (all speed)
Fruit and yogurt
Overnight oats
Magic pancakes
Boiled eggs
SW brekkie
Weetabix muffins

emwithme Wed 28-Sep-16 20:26:29

I have two standard breakfasts - one for work days, one for non-work days.

Non work days, it's the full fry up brunch - bacon medallions, fried eggs (I have cracked how to do them in frylight but even done in oil they're only 1 syn each), baked beans, mushrooms, tomatoes, sometimes diced potatoes.

For work days (when I don't have the time to do a full fry up) I make eggy muffins, and have them cold with a cup of coffee. You can also have them warm with beans if you wanted to save your HEB.

3 large eggs
150 g cottage cheese (I use the chive one)
Whatever's lurking in the bottom of the fridge - my standard is mushroom and onion, sometimes bacon.
Halved cherry tomatoes

Mix the cottage cheese and the eggs together.
Fry off the "filling" (otherwise it goes soggy).
Mix with the eggy mixture.
Pour into a silicon muffin tin or a standard muffin tin lined with cases (otherwise it will be a total arseache to get it out), top with a halved cherry tomato and pop into the oven for half an hour or so (Gas 6, fan 180, 200C)

Take out and chill. Last 3 - 4 days in the fridge, can apparently be frozen but I've never tried it myself.

I don't like using my HEB for breakfast and I can't cope without milk for my coffee!

Mummyme1987 Wed 28-Sep-16 21:21:52

Thank you

SlinkyB Thu 29-Sep-16 08:27:23

emwithme do you mean HEA when referring to the eggy muffins made with cottage cheese?

I also struggle with breakfast as love having cereal with my kids at 7am. I then can't have bread for the rest of the day u less I Syn it. Can't face fruit and yoghurt first thing, and live on it during the day (tho have to be careful not to have too much ff yoghurt as my skin breaks out).

emwithme Thu 29-Sep-16 09:11:57

No, I mean I don't like using my B choice for bread (toast) or cereal because then I can't have it later as nuts or dried apricots or hifi bars or ryvita or similar, so eggy muffins work really well for me...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now