Talk

Advanced search

Dairy free alternatives

(12 Posts)
fuzzyfozzy Sat 16-Jul-16 10:16:10

Hi
I'm coming to the conclusion that dairy is not agreeing with me. What do people use instead of cream/creme fraiche/quark?

puppydogmummy Sat 16-Jul-16 11:55:53

I'm a vegan slim miming world person I've not had much luck with dairy free cream, there is a scrummy soya yogurt with fruit that is very like quark made by Alpro that I buy in tescos. But in creamy type sauces I use hummous yummy and good source of protein 😊

fuzzyfozzy Sat 16-Jul-16 13:20:37

You use hummous in a cream sauce? Is the alpro yoghurt synned? Thanks for the help.

EsmeraldaEllaBella Sat 16-Jul-16 13:50:34

Lentils can make sauces thicker,eg in curry (like dhansak)

Arla make Lactofree milk which you could try? They make lots like cheese and yogurts. I think it's made from real milk but with he lactose removed (which I think is what most people struggle with when they don't get on with dairy)

Make sure you're getting enough calcium from "milky" things and also veg rich in calcium

blankmind Sat 16-Jul-16 14:07:33

There's a thick soya 'cream' think it's called something like Soya Dream <checks> yes, it's made by Provamel.

fuzzyfozzy Sat 16-Jul-16 15:05:09

Thanks guys. I'll have to expand my shopping from aldi m!

puppydogmummy Sat 16-Jul-16 16:58:18

Soya dream is sweetened so not great for savoury and prob quite high in Syns. The Alpro yogurts are called something like So and are 1 sun for black currant and 1.5 for mango or passion fruit and they are seriously scrummy ! Yes I use low fat hummous and wee bit of soya milk to make creamy sauce you can also use silken tofu but it's more of an acquired taste.

fuzzyfozzy Sat 16-Jul-16 17:20:22

Where can you get those yoghurts from please. I can't get my head round hummous for a creamy sauce!

puppydogmummy Sat 16-Jul-16 19:29:12

Lol maybe I have weird taste! Just had yogurt after my tea they're called Go On by Alpro and I get them in Tesco or sainsburys. They're usually on the shelf in a big flat cardboard tray with other yogurts.

puppydogmummy Sat 16-Jul-16 19:31:37

Here's a pic

NoBetterName Sat 16-Jul-16 19:39:09

Not slimming world, but have severely dairy allergic son.

For savoury dishes try oat cream, which is available at most supermarkets. For cream cheese, tofutti soya cream cheese is the best, from Goodness Direct. They also do dairy free cheese slices which are good melted e.g. for cheese on toast (and considerably lower calorie than dairy cheese, so might be allowed?).

In general, for all things dairy free go to Goodness Direct. They have a big selection and there's little you won't be able to substitute with a bit of experimenting.

fuzzyfozzy Sat 16-Jul-16 19:46:43

Thanks, I'll keep my eye out. I'm not bothered about syn free as I prefer to spend them on food rather than sugary stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now